Faulty MTX 500D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I hate to hijack this thread 4 years after it started, but I have one of these MTX 500D's and I need to repair it. There are a few burned out MOSFETS and two resistors that are as black as coal, making it difficult for me to identify what there are so that I can replace them. Does anybody have a diagram for this board?

Thank you for the link, it's very informative. FET203, 202, and 204 are blown to bits. FET201, REC202, and REC201 appear to be shorted. The four FET's on the other side of the board seem to be operational. Are the blown transistors the power transistors?
As for the resisters, I can't make out the board designation, but here are some pics, I hope they help.

Attachments

• IMG_20130808_205237.jpg
    IMG_20130808_205237.jpg
    586.6 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_20130808_205310.jpg
    IMG_20130808_205310.jpg
    602.9 KB · Views: 163
Actually, it's a bit of both. I got the thing at a garage sale for $10, I plugged it in to my subs and it worked, but I didn't use it much. I then played with it a bit too much and shorted something. I am going to Purdue in a few days to study Computer Engineering, so most of my interest lies in the knowledge I could gain from fixing such a thing. Electronics fascinate me, and I am constantly learning new things on the internet. I won't mind replacing things, but if it gets too expensive I better leave it for now. If the resistors and transistors don't fix it, what do you think it will cost to get it working?

The regulators failed regularly in these amps because they ran too hot. When they failed, they often destroyed all of the op-amps in the amp. If you don't have any shorted outputs or power supply FETs, the regulator damage may be the only thing you need to repair but expect at least several hours work and expect to replace at least about 20 parts. Refer to the following:
http://www.bcae1.com/temp/mtx500dregulatordamage01.swf

Should I start out with following these directions?

Okay. I read all of the other threads and none of them pertain exactly to this problem. I'm going to start with these resistors. 150 ohms, but how many watts do they have to handle? Also, you recommend using 390 ohm resistors. Does this decrease the performance of the amp? Won't the resistors heat up too much?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.