Amp. troubles PLZ HELP!!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok here is the problem. I am working with a kicker zr-240. When i bought it i tested it and it was in perfect working order. Now after being stored for 3 months i hooked it up and it is all screwed up. The amp did get banged around once but it wasnt too bad.

When i hook up the amp it pushes it seems like a combination of dc and ac current. when i am not messing with the input sens. it seems to push out ac current and the speaker flutters at about i would say 10-30 Hz. when i am tweaking the amps input sens. it moves the speaker with a dc current in relation to the adjustments to the imput pot. Ya there is some REALLY weird stuff going on here.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I was thinking that it could have somthing to do with the input ground. The amps output circ. is working because it is driving the speaker and the power light is coming on. This amp also has a removable crossover that i have switched out with one from a working amp.

I have no clue can someone please point me out in the right direction

Thank you,
Aaron

From one Aaron to another

Kicker amp troubles? No problem.

Resolder these items. The Xcard connections under the circuit board - remove all the old solder and rework. Then apply silicone sealer to the top of the board where the vertical pcb goes into the motherboard to prevent further problems.

Second...the input grounds probably ARE broken, right under the RCA jacks. Don't replace the whole jack, just solder a very thin wire between the shield pin and PCB.

If not that, then the check the solder points on the SMD resistors near the input gain pots. They crack slightly and cause problems.

These things will cause the thumping you describe without tripping the speaker protection relay. Oh yeah, resolder the pins on that relay, too.

Regards,
Aaron

No schematics...

I've never seen a Kicker amplifier schematic, nor one for 95% of the amplifiers I've worked on. I just know 'em down to the component level as I also design my own...so I know what they're doing. I also tend to have a photographic memory. Let me know if there's anything else I can do for you.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.