mmats 3000.1 help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am not familiar with this amp. If the devices you replaced were in parallel with other devices this could be why.

You need to figure out how many FETS are in each group and replace all the FETS in the group that had the defective few.

If you mismatch date codes on FETS in parallel your asking for trouble.

Did you replace the HIP4080 driver IC? They driver ICs almost always fail when any output transistor fails.

Many of the 4080 based amps are very sensitive to the output transistors. The IRF3710Z (<<< Z is VERY important) has been a universally good substitute. Do NOT buy them from eBay unless you know with 100% certainty that the seller is legit (most are not). I'd suggest buying them only from a reputable distributor (arrownac, digikey, mouser... if you're in the US).

There are other components around the 4080 that fail, check all of the larger diodes and resistors.

Did you have the transistors tightly clamped to the heatsink when you powered it up?

Did you have a relatively small (15 amp) fuse in the B+ line?

I've never seen that model.

The 21844s (and many of the driver IC like these) can be damaged when installing them. It's possible due to overheating when installing, static electricity or from having them stored improperly.

After installing them, you need to check them to confirm that they haven't been damaged.

Post a good quality photo of the area around the 21844s.

Attachments

• Clipboard01x.jpg
    Clipboard01x.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 173
The ICs may have been damaged if they were heated too much or if they were out of the packaging that keeps them from absorbing too much moisture from the air.

After installing the IC (before applying power), you need to confirm that there is no leakage for the high or low side drive sections of the IC.

I don't have anything on this amp so I don't know how the failing FETs are connected in the circuit.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.