Punch 150s/Power 550s

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The right channel blew again in the 550. I haven't removed any parts as of yet.

I had installed this in my car replacing the 150 I had previously repaired. I noticed immediately the amps sounded different. The 150 has good response to all types of low frequencies. The 550 sounded "mushy" as resonant bass was loud but drums just didn't kick. It also ran a bit warmer than the 150 - mainly on the right channel.

Could this condition be caused by an op amp or a weak transistor? Could the switch have damaged anything while it was getting a poor connection?

I swapped in a known good 9540 and got it going again. The output on the left channel is crystal clear. The right is a different story.

The best way I know how to describe how audio sounds on the right channel is that it is very similar to listening to a partially magnetized cassette in that some sound fades in and out and others seem to have an exaggerated stereo effect?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.