Alpine MRP M500 - No Bump!! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th June 2013, 04:31 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Angry Alpine MRP M500 - No Bump!!

Should I repair or replace for $150.00? The light is on, but nobody home. No output. The fuses (2 - 30 amp and one 60 amp (on the battery lead)) are not blown. Ground wire is tight. Everything looks like it should, except: Wires to one of the 2 - 10" JBL bandpass sub boxes have the insulation scruffed off. I suspect the output has dead shorted, and maybe killed the amp. I have taped up the exposed copper for the time being to see if life would return. These subs are in my work van, and lumber, metal, and whot-not has been slud (is it a word?) past the wires on numerous occasions , thus causing the damage to the insulation.
I will put a circuit tester on the channels today and try to diagnose further. My general question is this: I can replace the amp for $150.00. I am not electronically handy. I cannot imagine a repair to the amp by a technician will cost less than $75.00, plus shipping to and from a technician. Should I not just get another one from the local Future Shop, or order it up from Crutchfield? And maybe some armoured BX cable.

All ears. No Bump.
Old 1st July 2013, 02:50 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

These amps are very problematic and hard to repair. some parts are very hard to find. I am working on a MRP-1000 now... BTW the power light is connected to the remote line so as long as there is power and a remote signal the power light will light up. is is NOT an indication the amp is running...which was a really dumb thing for them to do!

My .02cents...scrap it!
Old 2nd July 2013, 01:10 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks Zero Cool. Consider it gone. If I step up for an Alpine MRX M50 or MRX M55 at a bit more money (in Canada about $340 tax included ) is this a more reliable amp worth the extrta coin? Other suggestions for around 500 watts RMS into a two ohm load? (Twin JBL 10" subs from a bygone day. They are 20 years old, but sounded very good until recently they didn't.)
Temprorarily: No Bump.
Old 4th July 2013, 03:25 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

If your running a 2 ohm load and need 500 watts RMS, find yourself an old 500bd Rockford amp, like a 2001-2003 model. They run hard all day and barely get warm. They are virtually problem free and very reliable. That amp will put out 600-700 on the birth sheet as well.
Pyramid 52 Amp Power Supply----Fluke 787 Processmeter----Tektronix 465 Scope----Velleman HPS40 Scope----Soldering Iron----Desoldering Iron----Hejet HJ 500-S Heatgun----DM4070 Digital LCR Meter----Propane Torch
Old 5th July 2013, 03:42 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seankane View Post
If your running a 2 ohm load and need 500 watts RMS, find yourself an old 500bd Rockford amp, like a 2001-2003 model. They run hard all day and barely get warm. They are virtually problem free and very reliable. That amp will put out 600-700 on the birth sheet as well.

My friend always swear on his BD1000, saying how long he has had it and how bad he has treated it and it still pound any subs he put on it. Never took the chance to own one but always wanted to.
Old 5th July 2013, 06:11 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

The BD1000 is an awesome amp. Its small, powerful, and efficient.

It is also a very reliable amp. You can run them hard all day long and they barely get warm.

That's a bit much of an amp for his set up though!!
Pyramid 52 Amp Power Supply----Fluke 787 Processmeter----Tektronix 465 Scope----Velleman HPS40 Scope----Soldering Iron----Desoldering Iron----Hejet HJ 500-S Heatgun----DM4070 Digital LCR Meter----Propane Torch

Hide this!Advertise here!