Help!! i just bought a $150 boat anchor - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th June 2013, 02:42 AM   #1
seppaku is offline seppaku  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Help!! i just bought a $150 boat anchor

Ok I just recently got "burnt" on a Rockford Fosgate 850.2 amp off Craigslist because I didnt test it first..1. I was on my motorcycle 2. he claimed his hood latch was broke..\sigh should of walked then... Anyway I have already ate $150 for the amp, called Fosgate and was directed to Desert ?? Repair shop who quoted me $185 for the repair. Shipping the amp to them is $38. i have soldered caps for friends amps before and chips in PlayStations. After a visual inspection I know TC8 (Q9) is toast and by the excess solder on Q1022 and possibly 1025. My question is it worth replacing all the correct parts like it was recommended on the Fosgate 800.2 repair thread on this forum or pay the $185 + shipping.. ANY help would be greatly appreciated I know from reading the 800.2 thread this IS the place to come for expert advise..Thank you for anything you can offer..parts list...whatever I can post pics of any component you need to see as well as using a multimeter for readings although my limited knowledge is volts n ohms.

Last edited by seppaku; 13th June 2013 at 07:46 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 13th June 2013, 01:29 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

sounds like its wiped out, needing outputs, power supply transistors, etc.. Not familiar with that board design so pictures will help here.
Old 13th June 2013, 04:52 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Noob @ this site..I have all the pics ready just have to upload to imageshack or host. Do I need a 3re party or can I upload direct to here?
Old 13th June 2013, 04:55 PM   #4
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by seppaku View Post
Noob @ this site..I have all the pics ready just have to upload to imageshack or host. Do I need a 3re party or can I upload direct to here?
Uploading directly is best. Make sure the images are OK size wise (if there not they won't upload).

Here's how to do it,

To add a photo, files or non standard files.

First click "go advanced" in the box below the "quick reply" message box. Doesn't matter if you decide half way through a message to do that, it carries it forward.

Then click "Manage attachements". Maximise the new Window so that you can see all the text.

Click browse in the first box at the top and find your picture. Repeat for any more pictures.
Click upload... a message appears "uploading"
When complete the files will show as being attached. Now click the small text that says "close this window"

The pictures should now be attached and when you submit your post they will appear.

Make sure your pics aren't too big, a couple of 100k is plenty, and many members object when they are massive and it alters the margins
It tells you in the attachments window what max sizes are allowed.

If you want to attach a file that has a non standard format for example excel, circuit simulation etc then try putting the files in a zipped folder and attaching that.
Old 13th June 2013, 07:04 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

OverViewSmall1.jpg

BurntTC8Small.jpg

TC7Resoldersmall.jpg

OverviewSmall.jpg

TC9n10small.jpg

BurntSmall.jpg
Old 13th June 2013, 07:06 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thank you very much for the crash course....It like most things was obviously in front of me...
Old 13th June 2013, 07:11 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Forgot to mention symptons.. Smoke fire and brimstone applying 12v's ..not necessarily in that order. ><
Old 14th June 2013, 02:10 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Looks like the power supply is toast.

Have you metered any of the outputs to see if they are shorted?
Pyramid 52 Amp Power Supply----Fluke 787 Processmeter----Tektronix 465 Scope----Velleman HPS40 Scope----Soldering Iron----Desoldering Iron----Hejet HJ 500-S Heatgun----DM4070 Digital LCR Meter----Propane Torch
Old 14th June 2013, 03:25 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Negative..I'm a rookie ..but I got a multimeter...do I just measure the spkr outputs ? and if so am I measuring resistance across each channel? Sorry for the newbie ?'s
Old 14th June 2013, 03:27 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Oh yeah...good luck replacing those output devices. they are soldered down to a thin piece of aluminum circuit board material. like extra large surface mount devices. you CANNOT remove them with a conventional soldering iron. you need a hot plate and a hot air gun to get them off with out damaging the coating on the aluminum material. or removing the SMD thermal tracking transistor or other parts on the board.

And, the output devices should be matched...

I would suggest sending the amp in for repair if you are not an expertly skilled repair tech! these are not easy amps to work on!

Hide this!Advertise here!