12v, 4 Channel Amplifier for Car PC - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th June 2013, 05:56 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 12v, 4 Channel Amplifier for Car PC

Hello all,

I am in the market for an amplifier for a car based set-up.
Im attempting to build an all in one Android based car pc with 3G and etc.

The issue I have currently is a gap where the amp should be due to not being able to find something suitable. Which is where I turn to you guys.

To break it down:
The power comes straight from the battery, but is switched by the ignition supply though the ISO connectors. The system only powers up when the ignition is on. From that, I have 4 power connections, 2 x 12v outputs, for the preamps and amplifier, routed off before a 5v 5A regulator for the motherboard and a 5V case fan.

The motherboard itself has 2 stereo jack outputs which I have used to low noise stereo preamps to give them a little kick before they are properly amplified.

This is where the problem is. I need a 12v powered (ideally), 4 channel amp which has a reasonable wattage per channel which will give the at least same volume output that a stock head unit might give, if not better. The speakers themselves have a 90w (5 inch) and 180w (6inch) threshold, but Im sure thats not an issue. All 4 speakers are 4Ω.

Can anyone advise me further on the situation and any advice on what I should get? I'd like the amp to be as small as possible, 100x60mm or less.

Thanks in Advance
JuzzTF
Old 9th June 2013, 06:56 AM   #2
Mihkus is offline Mihkus  Estonia
diyAudio Member

TDA7850 sounded fairly good...
4 Bridge amps no output caps low input resistance, pretty high efficiency...
very few external components tho.
Old 9th June 2013, 08:42 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Are there any in particular you would recommend? I have seen a few of the TDA7850 Amps but all seemed like Chinese copies that were not of particularly good quality.

Hide this!Advertise here!