Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th June 2013, 03:31 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Reworking my terrible sound system

I'm ready to start over, my budget at the moment is arround 2 grand to get me started on a sq system for my acura tl.
I think I have an advantage in the my car is nearly silent at highway speeds, the factory insulation is pretty fantastic.

Current setup.
Sony xplode 650W 4 way amplifier to stock door pannel speakers for all 4 doors with 2 tweeters fireing sort of at the roof by my windsield. there is a sony passive crossover for the tweets and the front door speakers.
For the bass I have a sony xplode 1000W amp to 2 8 inch infinity reference subs in sepperate sealed enclosures.

I am very unhapy with the sound qualit of this set up. I bought the components when I was in highschool a few years ago with very little knowlege of any audio systems and have since blown 3 of the 6 new speakers Ive boungt. hence the stock speakers in my acura.

More to come very soon on plans.
Old 7th June 2013, 03:54 PM   #2
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Moved to the Car Audio forum since this is a car audio related thread.
Old 7th June 2013, 04:27 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I wonder how that happened? hahaha

Anyway. The plan for the future of this build so far is a 3 way system up front, I heard about kick speakers? 6 1/2 in speakers designed to emulate a kick drum, designed to play frequences from arround 80HZ to 1kHZ or something like that. I don't know if they are any different from a standard 6 1/2 inch speaker from a component system. can anyone fill me in on that? The door will be insulated with sound deadening and partialy filled with polyfill.

The midrange and tweets will then be built into my kick pannles hopefuly. If not then integrated into my dash at approximately knee height. That is unless there is a decent way to mount them on top of the dash, I can put them pretty far forward my my defrost vents. I wonder if that will destroy my sound quality.

My plan at the moment is to figure out my drive placement before I select my drivers. but in the interest of being able to get a good idea of placement im using 4.5 inch mids 1 inch tweets and 6.5 inch lower mids?.

for the bass I want to try out a single 15 inch woofer in an infinite baffle situation fireing forward from the front of my trunk. basicaly strait into my back seat =( I don't know if this is a remotely good idea or not though. I can also do a vented set up with the vent fireing up through the factory sub location on the rear deck lid and strait into my back window...
Old 7th June 2013, 06:04 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

ooookay, after digging around behind my dash there is no way im getting anything in there. haha. so looks like custom kick panels just in front of the doors... should locate them as high up as possible?
Old 8th June 2013, 07:07 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

If you will fire the 15 inch sub backwards it will surprise you how much better it will sound than firing it forward into the seat. Try it and let us know if you do not get deeper better sounding bass.
Old 8th June 2013, 05:51 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hey mate.. Hope you don't mind if I have a rant

Sounds like you have a decent budget.... There are a few good brands in that price range and while you could mix and match diy Drivers and make your own passive crossovers it will be a pain. You could go active using something like a MiniDSP + Amps for each driver. Although this is still reasonable complicated its also very flexible.

The easiest option.. Look at a three way set with crossovers from brands like Focal.

Car audio systems - Focal

Focal K2 Power 165 KRX3 6-3/4" 3-way component speaker system at Crutchfield.com

There gear is really well built and will exceed your expectations. Fitting it all in is another matter.

Placement.... Although I have heard decent systems with the drivers at different locations the best I have heard/built have had all the drivers producing 80hz to 20khz as close to each other as possible. Tweeters seperated by 2 or 3 feet will grow tiring and most dash mount installs are very hard to do well for many reasons.
Most installs in lower door compartments have responded well to angling the drivers upwards and back. Somewhere between the rear view mirror and your head, but not at your head. The different distances between the drivers side speaker and the passenger side when angled directly at your head is very noticeable.
I find the ready made fiberglass door pods very easy to use. They usually only have space for a single mid and tweeter but can be had for 30 to 50 dollars. In which case a custom 3 way mount could be built or the woofer could be mounted flat on the door/kick panel. Since the woofer is most often only producing frequencies below 200 or 300 hz direction issues are much less of an issue.

Depending on the car, most kick panels (next to your pedals) are very space limited behind and leave inadequate volume for the woofers to produce any bass. Door mount of all three drivers is usually easier.
Even if you do mount this level of quality driver flat on the panels it will still sound fantastic, but consider attaching a ply wood baffle behind the door skin if possible. Any sort of solid reinforcement for attaching the drivers will drastically improve the bass and SQ.

Sub wise..... I have a few cheap test boxes of various volumes.. Mount the sub and test location. Eg build a.box that fits in your boot multiple ways and have a listen.. You will be surprised. Building an infinite test baffle should be a good tester also.

'Kick speaker' sounds like slang and may have no actual reference. I have never heard of one. But hey....

Hope some of this helps/inspires
Dean
Old 8th June 2013, 06:05 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default my suggestion for sound quality system

for components dynaudio component (given 200watts rms each) or morel hybrid ovation (given less than 200watts)
subwoofer image dynamic idmax (given over 500watts rms)

these are known to produce sound quality system

check them out
Old 8th June 2013, 06:10 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

PS. Whatever you do. Buy the sub after you have finished the front setup.
Then you can match the sub to compliment the rest of your system, not the other way.
Different brand/quality/size subs often come mounted in prefab boxes in stores, you could drive in and try a heap till you find something you like.

Also. I only mentioned focal because I have always enjoyed the sound of there gear. You may like another brand but not many do three way sets. Might be time to visit your local car audio club meeting.

Dean.
Old 8th June 2013, 11:32 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default focal components are also good speakers

i like focals they a bit to harsh on tweeters but they are good speakers. 1moreamp told me and i have now learned and believe, "you can make any speaker sound like each other, with an eq sound processor." invest in a good sound processor to get sq system.
Old 9th June 2013, 03:06 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Eq is handy but cannot resolve everything, including major flaws in poor drivers, and it introduces its own problems/challenges.

If I wanted eq I would checkout MiniDSP. Value for money/flexibility wise they are hard to beat.

It is one of many solutions.

Regards
Dean

Hide this!Advertise here!