Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th June 2013, 06:50 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

What brands of speakers are you looking at... Its hard to get much quality feedback from car audio forums other than " I like this because... ". Not much science... But forums like this one can often be too much science.

Class D amps are a real option. You save a lot of battery power and have a compact unit...
They can sound as good as many class A/B which are only 30 to 50% efficient compared to class D's 85 to 90 % efficiency.

Dean
Old 10th June 2013, 09:21 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Default Head Unit

Most of the threads I am coming acrost are a few years old, so nothing too solid on anything that has come out in the last 4 or 5 years. seems the economy hit the hifi car audio world pretty hard. Seems like not very many people have been dumping money into their car stereos for the last few years.
But anyways... would a 24bit DAC still be considered high end? or adiquate considereing my buget?
It turns out to be more difficult than I thought to find a head unit WITHOUT all the extras like time allignment and all sorts of options for eq. while still being a good quality piece. I don't want to go to cheep on a head unit that doesn't have all the bells and whistles and end up with the head unit being the "choke point" for the sq in my car.

Also I kind of wish all the head units werent so flashy. a nice polished aluminum color or even black with a logical and simple button layout would be nice... I know the right one is out there somewhere, I just need to find it!
Old 10th June 2013, 10:16 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Yea, there are plenty of reccomendations on speakers. most are a little suspect with no real reason as to why they like them or specs to support that they perform well. I have not begun to develope my own preference twards speakers as of yet, there aren't any high end audio shops in my area that I can go listen to, I know my sony speakers sucked, but then again are far from their top of the line speakers. I will make a road trip one day to a place I can sit and have a good listen to a variety of speakers... I wish I could take them for a test drive in my car, that would be awesome.

for a sub though I have found the FI infinite baffle series that I quite like, IB315 - Fi Car Audio Store but in all reality I can't tell for sure if it is worth a damn. or would give me the response I want with such a big cone. maybe a 12 inch would be better.
I have also looked at using a pair of DD's 8 inch speakers 1500 Series | DD Audio to put in a sealed or ported box... I am a little worried about being able to get the sound into the cabbin from the trunk though, I wonder if stacking the ports and aiming them both through my armrest hole would be effective. I don't know if they would suffer the same as my infinity 8 inches when put in sealed boxes, which I get the most sound from by pointing strait up or twards the back of my car. but then I loose some of the kick and quick response that I love.
Old 11th June 2013, 10:49 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

MiniDSP: An excellent alternative! - Car Audio | DIYMA.com

Not sure if you have read this thread so thought I would post it.

I wouldn't point only the ports through the arm rest, you would only get the port output without the drivers direct output. Not great.

I have never enjoyed any of sony's gear so I am biased in that regard.

You could start looking at Peerless (subs/MIDs/tweeters) and Vifa (mids/tweeters..

The peerless xls subs are cost effective and very well rated around here.

Dean
Old 11th June 2013, 01:35 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Excelent, thanks again for all your sugestions and help. I will be doing LOTS of reading today...
Old 12th June 2013, 04:01 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Default Sound Deadening

Well, I placed my order for some raamat BTX II sound deadening. Also completely removed the interior of my car, It is incredibly loud without all the insulated trim panels! but I am enjoying the performance aspect of removing 250lbs out of my car. The only thing left is half my dash and a driver seat... fun stuff! after I get the deadening in my old system will go back in for a few weeks while I finish planning and ordering my new system. This will give me a good opportunity to compare and comment on the effectiveness of the application of sound deadening in my car.
Old 12th June 2013, 06:22 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Any ideas for your front speakers yet?
Old 12th June 2013, 07:23 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

No speaker Ideas yet, but I just discoverd the MS-8 signal processor/amp from JBL. I was looking at adding a center channel to my system (I just removed the nav screen and it is a pervect mounting place for a midrange speaker and/or tweeter. The MS-8's software can generate an audio signal from stereo inputs that represents a true center channel. I am currently doing lots of reading on it, its pretty awesome. also it's built in amplifier might just be powerful enough to run some of my speakers. It is and 8 channel amp with 18watts per channel at 4 ohms. 30 watts at 2 ohms. would anyone sugest going with lower power but very sensative speakers to use that amplifier? It would certainly save a lot of $$ space and weight. even if the cost is the same after factoring in more expensive speakers I would like haveing fewer components.

I tried looking at the peerles and vifa speakers but their websites I found were pretty overwelming and unorginized. I don't really know where to start =(
Old 13th June 2013, 05:22 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Have you found docs on the ms8 you could link that has full specs?

I always wished somebody would release a clean looking HU as well.. They all look like teenage fashion accessories.

I am hoping some other members might pitch in with opinions on decent drivers but it seems to be just you and me mate. Car audio isn't what it used to be...
Old 13th June 2013, 05:23 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Have you found docs on the ms8 you could link that has full specs?

I always wished somebody would release a clean looking HU as well.. They all look like teenage fashion accessories.

I am hoping some other members might pitch in with opinions on decent drivers but it seems to be just you and me mate. Car audio isn't what it used to be...

Hide this!Advertise here!