Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MS8 sub limitations / Custom DIN bridging module
MS8 sub limitations / Custom DIN bridging module
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th June 2013, 01:02 AM   #1
TFD is offline TFD  United States
diyAudio Member

Default MS8 sub limitations / Custom DIN bridging module

I've been putting a system in my car with an Orion GX280 amp driving a 15" JBL E145. I made a DIN bridging module (thanks to bcae, http://www.bcae1.com/temp/dinbridgin...0connector.swf) to bridge the outputs.

The issue I've got is that I'm using an MS8 processor, which limits the sub output's low-pass filter to a max frequency of 200Hz. I'd like to play the E145 up to ~300Hz, so I'm planning to make a module that can take in two channels which will let me set up the MS8 using 3-way front speakers, which has flexibility in the crossover points.

Has anyone found a way around the limit to sub crossover point with the MS8?

As long as I'm modifying the DIN circuit, I'd also like to fix the turn-on thump. Schematic is attached. The main changes from bcae is to use use the extra amp as a summation circuit. I'm thinking of implementing the soft-on using an RC going into a transistor to the power rails of the op amp.

I know the turn-on circuit would be okay with a standard load, but I'm wondering how the variable load of the op-amp is going to affect it. Has anyone worked with a soft-on circuit for a varying load?
Old 6th June 2013, 01:38 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

...schematic attached here
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan007.jpg (215.1 KB, 25 views)
Old 26th June 2013, 11:32 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

So I'm now thinking I was to add a remote gain knob to this custom DIN bridging module. I find that at lower volumes, the bass just isn't there and at high volumes it gets to be too much. Controlling through the MS8 is a pain.

Has anyone made a remote bass knob for an amp without the connection built in? I don't think I want to use the knob as a pot to directly set the gain as then the low-level signal would be running up and down my car, just asking to pick up noise.

I assume amps with this feature have a method of isolating the gain knob from the signal, but does anyone know how? I've been looking at using a transconductance op amp or an op amp that you can set the gain over a digital interface, but there has to be a simpler solution.

MS8 sub limitations / Custom DIN bridging moduleHide this!Advertise here!