Sony MEX-BT3800U unresponsive faceplate

Hi would like some help or advice for my stereo. When the faceplate is attached, the unit turns on and turns off at random. I press the eject button and the unit turns on. It sometimes cycles thru the different sources if I press the eject button. All the other buttons don't respond. I tried to reset it which didn't work. I took apart the faceplate and also sprayed some electrical contact cleaner on both sides, and all of the buttons and it still didn't fix the problem. I also figured out that if you hold down the eject button while pressing the other buttoms, it will function, ie: volume with the rotary knob, and switching sources. Can anyone help me out with this?

Here's a link to a youtube video with the exact same problem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsljBqy72xc

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Hi would like some help or advice for my stereo. When the faceplate is attached, the unit turns on and turns off at random. I press the eject button and the unit turns on. It sometimes cycles thru the different sources if I press the eject button. All the other buttons don't respond. I tried to reset it which didn't work. I took apart the faceplate and also sprayed some electrical contact cleaner on both sides, and all of the buttons and it still didn't fix the problem. I also figured out that if you hold down the eject button while pressing the other buttoms, it will function, ie: volume with the rotary knob, and switching sources. Can anyone help me out with this?

Here's a link to a youtube video with the exact same problem:

Sony MEX-BT3800U problem - YouTube

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Good afternoon!

My name is Amanda Maffei here with the Sony Support team. I was looking at your post and I understand that your unit turns off and on. Have you tried the troubleshooting steps or advice on cleaning from our esupport page? If you haven't, please visit the following: https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answe...38218,69554,69593/c/65,66/kw/turns off and on.

Unfortunately if these steps don't help resolve the problem, then service may be required. Thanks!

-Amanda Maffei

Sony Support USA

Good afternoon!

My name is Amanda Maffei here with the Sony Support team. I was looking at your post and I understand that your unit turns off and on. Have you tried the troubleshooting steps or advice on cleaning from our esupport page? If you haven't, please visit the following: https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answe...38218,69554,69593/c/65,66/kw/turns off and on.

Unfortunately if these steps don't help resolve the problem, then service may be required. Thanks!

-Amanda Maffei

Sony Support USA

I will try this out first and see if it fixes the problem.

Hello! I have the sony mex-bt3800u. It has worked well for the past couple years but has suddenly stopped working. It powers on but only does what appears to be a demo. All buttons are non-functional and there is no sound. I've tried all the Sony suggested troubleshooting in the above link. Please help!!

There are usually one of three causes.
1/ Poor connection on the faceplate contacts. Clean.
2/ Broken flexible PCBoard inside the main unit. Replace the FPCB.
3/ Faulty faceplate. Replace the faceplate.
Sorry I can't be more specific.

I tried everything off the sony website and it still didn't work. I tried #1 cleaning the connections and still no better than it was before. #2 How much is the part? #3 Faceplates are hard to find online, I've searched ebay, but I don't want to take a chance at getting one that has the same issue.

Last edited:
Another thing, ive seen the tact switches fail shorted from constant use of the common buttons and cause this.

Also this model line of sonys, and ones previous are notorious for processor failures. I had fixed one with this very same issue, and luckily it was just the legs on the processor itself had started to break loose from the mainboard causing these symptoms, and it was random. Somtimes it did it, sometimes not.

I fix ALOT of headunits, and the most common thing about the sonys is the processors are junk. I dont know if its code related, or its chip related. But nevertheless, they are garbage.

How I check for code related faults or bugs, is I glitch the clock source to the microprocessor. 9 times out of 10, the unit will become responsive and function again until the next reset, This is indicative of bad programming on the manufacturers part, and this is usually caused be unforseen bugs that can develop when eeprom data changes erratically or unexpectedly.

The glitching causes the processor to malform or skip over any faulty instructions, or instructions that get it hung up. This is tricky. I use this technique alot, and I can get around most forms of pin locks on nav units this way.

Last edited:
Some buttons do not work ... but remote does.

Hello,

Car-radio functionnal for 10 years ... and suddenly only the source/off and volume buttons work. Not possible to change radiostation or acces setting.
I did several resets with the button behind the removable front-panel. No succes. I also diconnected the car-battery to erase memeory ... not better.

Finally I remembered and found back the never used remote controll (?? remote controll for car-radio :confused:), changed the battery of it ... and discover that I can acces the settings and change radio-stations.

This only partly solves the problem seen I cannot re-activate hands-off calling via bluetooth.

I someone thinks of a solution ... I would be gratefull.;)

Philippe (from Belgium).