ZX750.1 up in flames. - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th July 2013, 10:36 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Very good, am i not supposed to have 12v at the center legs of the fets or 4 volts at the end leg? can i ohm the speaker outputs to see if the outputs are bad, if they were bad wouldnt the amp stay in protect mode?
Im working on the 750 and a 2500 at the same time and with fets removed i get the same voltages on both amps.
Again thank you very much for taking time out of you day to help.
Old 5th July 2013, 06:03 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

I have not worked on any Kicker amps before.

I have worked on a lot of Rockford and Hifonics amps.

12v on the center leg is OK and 4v on the end is OK if you mean the gate leg of the p/s FET. The 4v is the gate voltage driving the FET.

What outputs does this amp have in it?
Pyramid 52 Amp Power Supply----Fluke 787 Processmeter----Tektronix 465 Scope----Velleman HPS40 Scope----Soldering Iron----Desoldering Iron----Hejet HJ 500-S Heatgun----DM4070 Digital LCR Meter----Propane Torch
Old 5th July 2013, 06:39 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Other trannies are 4 IRF9640's and 8 IRF640's. Ive been told you can Ohm check the two outer legs to see if the outputs are shorted.
Old 5th July 2013, 07:38 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

That is correct, you can meter from gate to source to see if any are shorted. This test wont tell you if they are leaky but it will tell you if any are shorted.

If you read anything near or close to zero for instance: 2.1 ohms or 3.5 ohms or even .2 ohms or .6 ohms and so on, the FET is shorted.

If any are shorted in the channel, I would advise changing all the outputs in that channel. If you want the amp reliable dont take a chance at reusing old outputs.

Before powering the amp, check your work. Look for missed solder joints, solder bridges, and so on. Use a current limiter inline with the B+, or a small fuse like 10-15 amp. This will help protect the devices if something is wrong still.
Pyramid 52 Amp Power Supply----Fluke 787 Processmeter----Tektronix 465 Scope----Velleman HPS40 Scope----Soldering Iron----Desoldering Iron----Hejet HJ 500-S Heatgun----DM4070 Digital LCR Meter----Propane Torch
Old 5th August 2013, 03:07 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Well finally got back to the ZX750 replaced the FETS and drivers. Now Im kicking in and out of protect mode. outputs seem fine. it cycles in and out pretty fast relay doesnt even engage now, before without the obvious blown FETS it would astay on with 12v and 4.5v to the pads, thought I was all good bur thats what I get for thinking.
I know there are various posts about this but here I am anyways.
Old 5th August 2013, 10:39 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

What are you using for a 12v power supply?

Re-check the output transistors. There are generally more 9640s than 640s.
Old 6th August 2013, 01:27 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Ok well I need to make some good clamps for the fets, I used the ones that came with the amp and a couple pair of small vise grips and let it cycle so i could do some testing but apparently they werent clamped good enough and smoked a couple FETS. Or My problem is still in the power supply. Any place in particular I should start? I replaced what I thought were the driver transistors, well Im open to suggestions.
Old 6th August 2013, 01:32 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Why can't you mount it back into the heatsink?
Old 6th August 2013, 01:40 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

I just thought it would be easier the do testing outside the sink.
Old 6th August 2013, 01:46 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Im useing an old ATX power supply, it only puts out 7 amps. Ok Im gonna go recheck the outputs and mount it back in the sink and see what I can come up with.

Hide this!Advertise here!