6.5" component separates

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
6.5" component separates

I have a 96 Impala SS. I am replacing my head unit and also need new front drivers. I currently have some aging and popping Coustic 6.5" separates up front (mids in the door, tweets at knee level aimed up). They sounded fine as far as imaging goes, but now they need to go. Suggestions for 6.5" separates?? I'll be running them with an older (yet reliable) Kenwood 80x2 amp.

On a sidenote, The Kenwood amp is one that I bought in 1993 second-hand. I can't kill that thing. :bigeyes: I know its time for a new one, but I can't find a reason to do it yet. :D

Thanks for the reply. Yup, woofers in the door. They are at the bottom front corner. The tweets are mounted on the kick panel aimed up at the headliner. There is plenty of space on the door for the tweets, but I found the coustics to have some really weird imaging when they were mounted there.

I'll check out the Polks. My problem is that I can't seem to find any good stereo shops around here. I live in downtown LA and my only real options are Frys, Circuit City, and Best Buy. They carry things like Sony and Pioneer, but lack the higher-end stuff. There is a little store near me, but nobody speaks english and they have brands like "iXplode" and "Kickar." You may laugh, but those are actual names I found in there. I don't mind ordering from Crutchfield, but I like to hear and compare first.

Anyone know any good LA/valley-area stores where I can hear upscale car audio? I live near dodger stadium, so I have easy access to Burbank, donwtown, Glendale, and I have friends in Reseda area, so I'm up there alot.

Circuit city usually carries Polk car audio speakers, dunno about the other stores.

I ended up flush mounting my tweeters in the factory kick panels. In my car this ended up giving me great imaging because they were only an inch or two away from the woofers and maybe a half inch lower than them, which is optimal from what I've read about imaging. Also, I'd recommend dynomatting your doors. Those polks hit hard, which causes some rattling in my doors and a little distortion at high volumes. I'm thinking about using the acoustic spray on my doors and stuffing them with box stuffing(which may be going a bit too far).

Circuit city usually carries Polk car audio speakers, dunno about the other stores

I second the use of circuit city. They Have good 3 year warranties that are cheap. They are hassle free. You can simply say you don't like the color of the speakers anymore and they will give you what you paid for them back. Plus if you blow the speakers they will replace it or repair it an infinite number of times within your warranty timeframe.

thanks

I got some great goodies yesterday thanks to your recommendations. Circuit city did in fact have Polk stuff but didn't have any dBs in the display. I went yesterday and they had the 6500s hooked up and I loved the sound compared to the others they offered. They had them for $219.

I got on Crutchfield.com and found some ******* bargains. I got a pair of dB6500s for $199... not a steal, but then you got a second pair for 1/2 price. So I got some dB 650 2-ways for $49. I also got a Rockford Fosgate head unit on clearance; originally $499, now $199! Fosgates heads are not prized for their mediocre FM sensitivity or they CD S/N ratio, but they do have three 5V preouts and a copper case. I'll be pushing about 800 WRMS all around and with an electric fuel pump right near the trunk I need all the help I can get. I also snagged a pair of Polk's EX3550 components for $119. Nice numbers... I hope they sound good in my old noisy BMW.

Good sales there at Crutchfield from time to time. And talk about customer service!! Good stuff in my book. I used to sell JVC stuff and I would actually sometimes get it cheaper from Crutchfield if you take into consideration that they include all the install stuff.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.