fluted port - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd March 2013, 08:33 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default fluted port

Is a fluted port the same as a flared aero port? If not, could someone please explain what it is.

Also opinions on aero versus slot.
Old 23rd March 2013, 10:55 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

*edit:

does anything beat a kerf port? In terms of decreased port noise and increased db's?
Old 23rd March 2013, 11:30 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default fluid port

It's properly called...
Wait a moment : it's a flared port

or duct

...search also for 'bernoulli effect' or some other

Old 24th March 2013, 12:21 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I wasn't sure if I was missing some crazy port style or something, thanks for the clarification. Do you have experience with flared slot ports versus flared aero ports? And once again, a kerf port is essentially a hugely flared slot port correct? Would this have a larger positive effect on system output?
Old 24th March 2013, 03:32 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by deebeez92 View Post
I wasn't sure if I was missing some crazy port style or something, thanks for the clarification. Do you have experience with flared slot ports versus flared aero ports? And once again, a kerf port is essentially a hugely flared slot port correct? Would this have a larger positive effect on system output?
There's nothing crazy in acoustics, as everything is well explained with science, in particular physics, as well as air motion. I don't know what a kerf is, it might be a variovent type. The motion of the fluid air in a slotted port, it follows the adaptive way of lamination effect
Old 24th March 2013, 03:44 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I think he's likely referring to kerfing (making many saw passes the width of the kerf of the saw blade) the back of the MDF to allow the MDF to be bent into a radius at the mouth of the slot port.

Hide this!Advertise here!