Diodes in SPL Dinamics ext-3000D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Please don't post in a repair thread that was started by someone else unless you are trying to help them.

Click on the red triangle in the lower left corner of your post and ask a moderator to move your post (and any replies to it) to a new thread (my post should be deleted).

After it's moved, I'll try to help you.

D2 has to charge a 10uf capacitor when the amp goes into over-current protection. There is a 4.7 ohm resistor that (I'm assuming) is there to limit the inrush current to the capacitor. Increasing the value of that resistor a bit (10-15 ohms) may protect the diode. It shouldn't affect the protection circuit but without thorough testing, there's no way to know if increasing the value would prevent the amp from going into protect quickly enough.

Another way to protect the diode would be to reduce the value of the 10uf capacitor.

Since this isn't a common problem, have you asked the manufacturer of the amp if they have any suggestions or experience with this type of failure?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.