Source Selector for Car Audio (a - b switch) wiring help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a Volvo that uses fiber optics from the HU to the amp and is not expandable.

I would like to add a standalone iPhone -> Pre-Amp -> Amp and then have a "junction box" with a switch that will switch the speakers from the factory amp to the second standalone amp.

I have four channels of audio to switch (LR, RR, LF, RF). Is there a switch that's appropriate for this? I think I could use two DPDT switches (one for front speakers, one for rear), but I'm getting confused about how to wire that and if it is ok to use a common ground.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks!

You need 1 DPDT relay for each pair of wires going to the speakers. The speakers will connect to the movable contacts of the relay. The two amplifiers will connect to the stationary contacts of the relay.

Be VERY careful when doing this. If you make a mistake and damage the OEM amplifier, it may be VERY expensive to repair.

You can NOT use common grounds for the speakers.

If you don't understand relays, read the 'relays' page of the car audio site (link in sig line below). It's #36 in the directory.

The current rating is marginal and only suitable for low power amplifiers.

If you use radio shack relays, you most definitely want to use sockets. When I used them (years ago), they had a high failure rate. There are better relays but they're significantly more expensive. The higher current relays at radio shack would likely be more reliable due to higher contact pressure.

Other than the +/- on the switch, it looks OK. The markings on the switch are only important if you have a lighted switch.

The fuse is very important. Don't forget and use one that's the right size for the wire.

Do not make a mistake or let a wire ground for the OEM amp. Expect $300+ for repair if you blow the OEM amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.