Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Clarion DPX11500 #2 Repair
Clarion DPX11500 #2 Repair
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th March 2013, 11:18 PM   #51
MatthewS is offline MatthewS  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to MatthewS Send a message via MSN to MatthewS Send a message via Yahoo to MatthewS
*EDIT* Ok.. I'm back from reading page 1.. lol.

You stated at first that you had this voltage with the outputs OUT of the circuit and nothing changed when they went back IN. I have never touched this amplifier, so this is speculation on my end next.

There is not a whole lot going on in between the output terminals and the output transistors that could introduce a voltage all by itself. So if you yank the output transistors completely out of circuit and get that voltage on the outputs you don't have a very large area to look at. I would start looking for post output components with access to a voltage source (Ie, active parts, not passive) and/or any sort of components part of the feedback system. Perry might have a partial schematic to help.

Last edited by MatthewS; 9th March 2013 at 11:42 PM.
Old 10th March 2013, 01:52 AM   #52
Zeptoplix is offline Zeptoplix  Canada
diyAudio Member

I have the service manual, complete with schematics.

This DC voltage that I have, continues to fall the longer the amplifier is turned on. Since I have been testing with the board out of the sink, I have not let this go too long as the Tip 102/107 get extremely hot and I do not want them to fail.

Perry:

Paul did not have a chance to get his source hooked up. So i picked the amp up and tested it hooked up to my head unit in the car, amplifier connected to the same power supply as the deck, and the same amount/type of distortion is present.

Prior to this, I had been using an MP3 played from my cell phone.

Prior to this all testing had been done from my ipod (music for example)
Old 10th March 2013, 03:22 AM   #53
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to MatthewS Send a message via MSN to MatthewS Send a message via Yahoo to MatthewS
Nevermind, found it online..

If it's really beating everybody up, Here's a brute force process of elimination:

Pull all the main output emitter resistors out on one end to disconnect them from the output without pulling the drivers themselves. Confirm you still have your voltage on the output terminals (do NOT use a source for these tests). If it's there, proceed, if not post back. For clarification you are going to watch the voltage from the speaker output terminals at all times.

1) Lift one leg of d14 then d23 at a time. - Voltage still on the outputs? Yes = proceed (if measurement changes, post it)
2) Lift one leg of r7 & r145 at a time. - Voltage still on the outputs? Yes = proceed (if measurement changes, post it)
3) Lift one leg of r4 & r151 at a time. - Voltage still on the outputs? Yes = proceed (if measurement changes, post it)

At this point, if you still have something it could be sourced at the feedback front end.

4) Lift one leg of r40, r48 & c16 at the same time. - Voltage still on the outputs? Yes = proceed (if measurement changes, post it)

There are other ways to do this, but it seems like you and your friend are at your wits end. At this point, just start pin disconnecting sections of the circuit with any ties to the output till you see a change. Then go from there. You do a lot less desoldering this way too. I would follow it around with a DMM myself, but that doesn't seem to be going well for you.

Last edited by MatthewS; 10th March 2013 at 03:43 AM.
Old 10th March 2013, 03:50 AM   #54
diyAudio Member

So disconnect one leg of each .1ohm resistor from the board and start at step one. I'll give it a try. I have no problem tracing circuits around the board with my DMM, but I do not really know what I am looking for when I do. I can take measurements and post them, but not unless I know what to look for in the first place.

I'll give what you have suggested a try and report back.

Thank you
Old 10th March 2013, 03:53 AM   #55
diyAudio Member

That is correct. Also, as you proceed through the steps, leave the prior disconnected part(s), disconnected still. Make each power up test as brief as possible just to confirm the measurements.
Old 10th March 2013, 04:10 AM   #56
diyAudio Member

Amp goes into protect/protect light flashes with emitter resistors disconnected. Sets of three flashes.
Old 10th March 2013, 04:16 AM   #57
diyAudio Member

Put r14 & r169 back in for the tests, I overlooked the protection ties.
Old 10th March 2013, 04:55 AM   #58
diyAudio Member

When I disconnected one leg of r40,48 and c16 my DC went up to +38vdc
Old 10th March 2013, 05:04 AM   #59
diyAudio Member

Ok, but you got that far without a rise or loss of the original output?

If so, put all legs back in. You have a leak or open somewhere in the drive section. I'll maul it over for further instructions or Perry can jump back in. I got nachos I don't want to get soggy here
Old 10th March 2013, 05:06 AM   #60
diyAudio Member

I must have a shorted output now though correct? Ill put everything back, and yes that was the first change.

Clarion DPX11500 #2 RepairHide this!Advertise here!