Rockford Fosgate Power 650 - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th January 2013, 06:49 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Make sure to check the caps and zeners in that channel.

Is the amp blowing the fuses for that channel?

Like Perry has told me before you cant rely on DC with no outputs installed.

You are sure all transistors and drivers are installed in the correct locations?
Pyramid 52 Amp Power Supply----Fluke 787 Processmeter----Tektronix 465 Scope----Velleman HPS40 Scope----Soldering Iron----Desoldering Iron----Hejet HJ 500-S Heatgun----DM4070 Digital LCR Meter----Propane Torch
Old 29th January 2013, 07:18 PM   #12
shawnk is offline shawnk  United States
diyAudio Member

Ok, using a 4ohm load the amp produces a clean sinwave all the way up to clipping (~27v) Adjusting the bias pot produced a nearly identical clipping point.

I adjusted the bias using the tip in the tutorial (by viewing my current meter inline with B+).

The interesting thing is by adjusting the bias to the point of minimal current increase I was able to achieve only ~ -.055v of offset for this channel. I know this isn't perfect, but as I had said before I'm at a loss trying to get it any better than this. Is this possibly due to the 2n6488/2n6491 substitutes?

Is there anything else I should look for? I still have another channel to go after this.
Old 29th January 2013, 07:30 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seankane View Post
Make sure to check the caps and zeners in that channel.

Is the amp blowing the fuses for that channel?

Like Perry has told me before you cant rely on DC with no outputs installed.

You are sure all transistors and drivers are installed in the correct locations?
Thanks for replying,

I've checked just about everything for this channel. Hell, I've even replaced practically everything in this channel as well. That's what's so fustrating

She's producing clean output up to clipping now... I guess the next test is for "long term" stability.
Old 29th January 2013, 08:32 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

I could send you a D40D8 and D41D8 if you think it would help.
Pyramid 52 Amp Power Supply----Fluke 787 Processmeter----Tektronix 465 Scope----Velleman HPS40 Scope----Soldering Iron----Desoldering Iron----Hejet HJ 500-S Heatgun----DM4070 Digital LCR Meter----Propane Torch
Old 29th January 2013, 09:34 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the offer bro... that's very nice of you! I'll see if she holds up ok and if not then I'll probably take you up on that offer (I'll pay of coarse)!
Old 29th January 2013, 10:54 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

I can just give you a couple, people have helped me out on the forum before so I would feel better about giving them to you and contributing a favor to another forum member as some people have done for me.
Old 29th January 2013, 11:06 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Well that's very generous of you bro. We'll see if I need them or not pretty soon here.

Can I ask how you came across these since they have been discontinued for so long?
Old 29th January 2013, 11:10 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Struck up a deal with gentleman that I have done business with in the past and he sold me all his stock.

I only have like 20 of each, I am trying to work a deal with another gentleman to get his stock of 200 each.
Old 29th January 2013, 11:14 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Very cool.

Well, if you need someone to split and help with costs just let me know
Old 29th January 2013, 11:29 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

I have no problem with that, I dont need that many but want to get them because I am sure we will be repairing these amps for years to come and soon they just wont be available anymore.

There are subs but I like retaining the factory part and look after a repair ya know?

Hide this!Advertise here!