Punch45 Constant Noise from right channel-? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th January 2013, 07:08 PM   #1
Satyr is offline Satyr  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Punch45 Constant Noise from right channel-?

Hey all,
I decided to take the plunge and try to repair some of my old car amps (instead of just building speakers from time to time) as hobby projects.

I recently picked up a Punch 45 (HD), and after replacing the junk wire the PO had connected to it (with what looked like telephone crimping stuff) I got it to power on, but I have a high amount of static like crackling noise from the right channel. Initially, I thought it was due to the loose rca inputs- (and there may still be a problem with the inputs) but I tacked them back to their mounting surface (where they had become detatched) with a bit of solder and the noise continues.

I did alot of searching before posting, and found one old, dead, unresolved post where someone had a similar problem with an RF amp, and Perry had asked him to measure the resistance between the input rca shields/sleeves. I checked the resistance between the shields on this P45 and now that they're tacked down, they read 0.6 ohms between them.

So, what would be next?

I thought I would post this as a diy tutorial for others to follow who might be interested, and I will be reading on the bcae site as well. If there are any other sites that might help me repair a RF amp (or any other amps) I'd really appreciate the info. Thanks in advance and have a good week- John
Old 29th January 2013, 12:40 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Is there any corrosion between the components on the board just behind the RCA jacks?
Old 30th January 2013, 05:21 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi Perry, Thank you very much for responding. No, there isn't any corrosion- in fact, compared to many of the pictures I've seen of damaged amps, this one appears to be in pretty good shape. No burned spots, no broken traces, etc.
Old 30th January 2013, 05:43 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

If it's noisy. you'll have to trace the signal to see where the noise is getting into the system.
Old 30th January 2013, 06:13 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Look on the HBPIM board right behind the RCA jacks and look at the 2 10uf 16v aluminum capacitors and see if there is any brown spots around them.
Pyramid 52 Amp Power Supply----Fluke 787 Processmeter----Tektronix 465 Scope----Velleman HPS40 Scope----Soldering Iron----Desoldering Iron----Hejet HJ 500-S Heatgun----DM4070 Digital LCR Meter----Propane Torch
Old 30th January 2013, 12:18 PM   #6
dwvinky is offline dwvinky  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seankane View Post
Look on the HBPIM board right behind the RCA jacks and look at the 2 10uf 16v aluminum capacitors and see if there is any brown spots around them.
Ive purchased two 75hd's and a 45hd in the past month. All have ruptured caps on the PIM. Boards aint cheap either. Eventually when i quit buying broken amps, i'll order replacements. Lol. First thing im gonna do when i get new boards is replace the aluminum caps with low profile leaded radial caps. Ill just keep the leads short and heat shrink em.

Last edited by dwvinky; 30th January 2013 at 12:25 PM.
Old 31st January 2013, 03:36 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hooked it back up to power and realized that the crackling, popping static noise was in both channels- and... whatever was failing, failed. Pop, smoke. Now it's dead...

I didn't have burned spots before, but I do now...
Old 31st January 2013, 05:19 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Very bummed about this- my first project up in smoke (literally.) Would it be OK to try and post a picture of the burned spots for feedback/direction from y'all?
Old 31st January 2013, 06:15 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Post the photos.

Were the transistors clamped to the heatsink when it failed?
Old 31st January 2013, 09:54 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]Click the image to open in full size.

Hope this works. This is a macro of the whole board with purple arrows showing visble burns

Last edited by Satyr; 31st January 2013 at 09:58 PM. Reason: attempting photo

Hide this!Advertise here!