Fitting 6 3/4" speakers onto 6 x 9" doors?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello. I'm in the process of replacing my front door speakers (with components) and have found that no one makes 6x9" components speakers. As my OEM front doors have 6x9" speakers and as such the hole for that size of speakers, could it be possible to fit a 6 x 1/2" or 6 x 3/4 woofer in such door? Thank you!!

revenge of the 6x9...

Unless the adapters are high quality and thick plastic, there is a possibility they will vibrate. On the other hand- MDF can be crumbly and unless your jigsaw skills are pretty high- they can make a mess and even if under grilles- can look bad. Some installers back in the 80s (when lots of cars had 6x9s in the rear deck) fabricated adapter plates out of painted sheet metal that allowed them to install 8"s for "mid bass" and then would mount a wide-range soft tweeter on the underside of the 6x9 grille firing upward to give a pseudo "coaxial" look- but the SQ was much better than ANY 6x9 available. Good luck.

Thank you for all your answers.

One last QUESTION: The speakers I am actually buying are 6 3/4 not 6 /12. There are plenty of 6x9 to 6 1/2 adapters but no 6 3/4. Will I be fine with the 6x9 to 6 1/2 adapter with my 6 3/4 speakers? Any comments? Thanks again!

You will have to find out the width of the speaker basket below the mounting surface to see if it will fit into the opening of the adapter- assuming you are mounting it from the top, and you will have to check to make sure the screw holes line up. If you are mounting it from below, you will just have to see if the mounting holes in the adapter will line up with the speaker you intend to install.

One potential problem that I see is that if you are mounting from below, the width of a 6.75" speaker might be wider than the adapter- so it won't mount flush. And a potential problem is that when mounting from the top, the speaker may protrude beyond the adapter and not only not be able to mount flush, but might look janky too.

You will have to do ALOT of measuring to make sure these speakers will work in this application. You might be better off with a good set of 6.5s to use with the adapter instead. If you have no choice but to use the 6.75s and they won't work with the adapters, you might consider making your own adapters using a jigsaw and plywood or MDF as suggested. Good Luck and let us know how it works out.

I have a truck with two factory 4X10" speaker holes, so I know what you are going through. 20 years ago, you could find aftermarket manufacturers who still made speakers for these cars, and it was because 20 years ago, car designers/manufacturers didn't build auto sound systems for SQ- a "car radio" was an afterthought. More thought went into the design of the stupid cupholders than the stereo the driver would listen to. I'm sure this is why the car audio aftermarket exploded in the 80s and 90s.

The fabrication required to address my 4X10 problem proved to be too much, so I finally gave up and just bought some speakers that would fit. The SQ is not very good compared to my other car- but they certainly sound better than the worn out 25 year old paper drivers with whizzer cones they replaced.

The good news is that while Crutchfield.com stated that the Focal PS165 speakers were 6.75" the actual Focal site says the diameter is 165mm (6.5") and the diagram of the speakers also says that so I'm good to install those speakers with the 6 x 9 to 6 1/2 adapter. Thank you for all your help!

:) This is what Crutchfield says about all the 6 1/2 speakers: Focal describes this model as a 6-1/2" speaker. Most manufacturers designate this same frame size as a 6-3/4" speaker. For simplicity's sake, we list it as a 6-3/4" speaker.

Substitute FOCAL to Boston Acoustics, Alpine, JL Audio...

Anyway, I find Crutchfield.com is one of the best if not the best place oline to buy car audio parts, don't you think?

The good news is that while Crutchfield.com stated that the Focal PS165 speakers were 6.75" the actual Focal site says the diameter is 165mm (6.5") and the diagram of the speakers also says that so I'm good to install those speakers with the 6 x 9 to 6 1/2 adapter. Thank you for all your help!

Greetings Insoc,

If your buying a focal, you need to do better than the crutchfield adapters.
The many strengths of that speaker are are lost without proper mounting.

I don't recall you mentioning the year/make/model of yer vehicle?

Hi Insoc,
I haven't bought anything from Crutchfield since the early 90s, so I can't comment on what their company is like today, but they were very consumer-friendly back then. They used to have alot of tutorials online (yes, in the early 90s) and techs you could call and ask questions. I don't recall having any problems ordering from them, but one issue that I did have was that there were alot of inherent problems doing an install that was anything other than drop-in, plug and play when I was sourcing components from them. I had one car that was bult in 1972- it wasn't in their database becasaue it was "old." I had another car that was rare and had weird speaker openings, there was nothing listed in the database for it so they couldn't help me other that to suggest cutting metal. For the 944 I had had, there was no info in the database- and it turned out not to be a weird situation at all, it was just that their database was weak. So, if you have a very ordinary vehicle- made recently, you're probably OK. You might also check out any forum sponsors and see what they can do for you too. Cheers- J

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.