Fitting 6 3/4" speakers onto 6 x 9" doors? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st January 2013, 03:35 PM   #11
insoc is offline insoc  Costa Rica
diyAudio Member

The good news is that while Crutchfield.com stated that the Focal PS165 speakers were 6.75" the actual Focal site says the diameter is 165mm (6.5") and the diagram of the speakers also says that so I'm good to install those speakers with the 6 x 9 to 6 1/2 adapter. Thank you for all your help!
Old 31st January 2013, 04:00 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Excellent = Another satisfied customer.
Old 31st January 2013, 04:34 PM   #13
insoc is offline insoc  Costa Rica
diyAudio Member

This is what Crutchfield says about all the 6 1/2 speakers: Focal describes this model as a 6-1/2" speaker. Most manufacturers designate this same frame size as a 6-3/4" speaker. For simplicity's sake, we list it as a 6-3/4" speaker.

Substitute FOCAL to Boston Acoustics, Alpine, JL Audio...

Anyway, I find Crutchfield.com is one of the best if not the best place oline to buy car audio parts, don't you think?
Old 1st February 2013, 09:32 AM   #14
dctech is offline dctech  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by insoc View Post
The good news is that while Crutchfield.com stated that the Focal PS165 speakers were 6.75" the actual Focal site says the diameter is 165mm (6.5") and the diagram of the speakers also says that so I'm good to install those speakers with the 6 x 9 to 6 1/2 adapter. Thank you for all your help!
Greetings Insoc,

If your buying a focal, you need to do better than the crutchfield adapters.
The many strengths of that speaker are are lost without proper mounting.

I don't recall you mentioning the year/make/model of yer vehicle?
Old 1st February 2013, 05:39 PM   #15
Satyr is offline Satyr  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Insoc,
I haven't bought anything from Crutchfield since the early 90s, so I can't comment on what their company is like today, but they were very consumer-friendly back then. They used to have alot of tutorials online (yes, in the early 90s) and techs you could call and ask questions. I don't recall having any problems ordering from them, but one issue that I did have was that there were alot of inherent problems doing an install that was anything other than drop-in, plug and play when I was sourcing components from them. I had one car that was bult in 1972- it wasn't in their database becasaue it was "old." I had another car that was rare and had weird speaker openings, there was nothing listed in the database for it so they couldn't help me other that to suggest cutting metal. For the 944 I had had, there was no info in the database- and it turned out not to be a weird situation at all, it was just that their database was weak. So, if you have a very ordinary vehicle- made recently, you're probably OK. You might also check out any forum sponsors and see what they can do for you too. Cheers- J
Old 2nd February 2013, 01:46 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Build them out of MDF and coat them with epoxy resin then paint. they'll be stronger, water resistant, and are much less likely to rattle.

Hide this!Advertise here!