Hifonics XXV-Cyclops repair

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Its set here.

Attachments

• IMG_0408.JPG
    IMG_0408.JPG
    804.4 KB · Views: 68
You are not using a Tektronix probe (or a probe that tells the scope which window to light up).

The scope has two backlights. One is for when a 10x probe is being used and the other for when a 1x probe is being used. With generic probes, you have to use the part of the dial in front of the backlight for the type of probe you have (1x or 10x).

In your photos, the 1x light is lit. If you look at that position (5v in front of the lit backlight) but have a 10x probe, you will have the vertical amp set to 50v/div, not 5v/div.

Look at the image below, you can see that the 10x backlight is on. This is a Textronix probe with the pin that tells the scope which backlight should be lit.

Attachments

• IMG_2787b 465bwithrebel dvd art01x.jpg
    IMG_2787b 465bwithrebel dvd art01x.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 53
Interesting... I was wondering why that one never lit up, lol. This was the probe that came with the scope when I bought. I understand what your saying. Maybe its not calibrated properly... dunno

However, I'm pretty sure I have it set as you asked... here is a pic with all the settings... 1x, 5v/div, 10us, x10 mag button off...

Here is a pic of the settings and a pic of pin 9 again. Still looks the same... low

Attachments

• IMG_0416.JPG
    IMG_0416.JPG
    914.9 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0417.JPG
    IMG_0417.JPG
    830.3 KB · Views: 48
I'm using an Exide 12v 1200ca battery... my Pyramid ps stopped working a lil bit ago. I've had the batt for while you could be right. I don't have a load tester. I tried to power it up using a 15 amp fuse and a 10amp charger on the batt. (14.6v) and it popped the fuse as soon as remote voltage was applied. My digital clamp jumped to 24amps when the fuse popped.

I just noticed this mark on a transformer, theres definitely something going on down in there... the color is whitish, and there looks like arc marks down in there too. Can't really tell its hard to see down in there. Sorry for the crappy pic. I took many this was the best I could get...

Attachments

• IMG_0423.jpg
    IMG_0423.jpg
    376.4 KB · Views: 54
Could a bad transformer be causing all these issues? I've never had a problem with a transformer before... its one of the two closest the power terminals. The one on the other side seems to have a very small slightly whitened mark on it too. The one in the pic def has some blackened arc marks inside the whitened area.

It looks like a coating on the windings. This type of coating can be produces when something is heated and burns off. It could have happened when they tinned the leads on the transformer.

Clean it up with cotton swabs and acetone to see if it comes clean and to see if any of the insulation flakes off.

I don't think there is a problem with the transformer if it powers up sometimes and the FETs for that transformer are OK.

I recommend that you not remove the transformer. They can be VERY difficult to get out and back in without damaging the board.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.