Rockford Fosgate Power 650

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This amp doesn't use conventional source resistors so you can't set the DC voltage across them.

These amplifiers are unstable without the bias being set. You can use a combination of the current draw and the 'noise' on the output of the op-amp driving the channel. As you reach the proper bias, the output of the op-amp will become cleaner (less high fr3equency noise).

The bias is very touchy so you need to make sure that the bias pots are not intermittent. If they are and the bias creeps up, it can cause the channel to run hot or fail.

I have one channel that was not repaired, that starts to draw current as soon as you move the bias pot. It does not make alot of noise when its all the way down like the other channels. The channel works fine, but I want to be sure I dont have any bias issues.

What to check?

There is an 82 ohm flame proof resistor looking like it connects to sections of the amp together. It has been clipped in half. I have seen this on other 650's as well. Some are hooked up and some are clipped. Whats it for?

I hooked it up and the current draw of the amp started slowly getting higher and higher. I clipped it and left it out of the circuit. The amp seems to work fine without it but I really want to know what it does.

How many amps should this amp draw at an idle?

May have caused the issue with the other channel?? Dont know???

This is the 82 ohm flame proof resistor. I have seen it clipped in alot of 650's and some I have seen still in tact.

The bias seems fine now I dont know why it was acting up.

I just want to know what this resistor is for or does?

Attachments

• Power 650 001.jpg
    Power 650 001.jpg
    812 KB · Views: 80
Ok so its not going to hurt anything left unconnected then.

I have another Power 650 for repair. I will start a new post if needed.

It draws 20 amps current. The 75 ohm resistors next to the D40/41 are burned. Pulled it apart to find someone had replaced the outputs with NTE2371's on 3 of them.

There is also a bunch of mis matched date codes on the other channels FETS as well. Looks like this one will need all new outputs........am not looking forward to changing them all there are so many, and its delicate to not ruin the solder pads on the board.

Perry changed the NTE fets out to IRF9540 just to test, replaced the burned resistors and the amp powers up stable, has no DC on the output wires and produces clean audio.

Question......These amps are very noisy without the bias set properly and I was viewing the output through the output pins of the op-amps in the feedback section to clear up the noise with the bias. The other three channels bias settings are close to the same. The channel that was worked on the bias has to be much higher to get rid of the noise. Its not drawing any current being higher.

Do you think its because I have the original N channel FETS installed with the newer P channel IRF9540's?

I am going to change all the outputs in that channel, I was just curious. The amp seems to work great.

I have played the amp on the bench for about 45 minutes, its getting pretty toasty to the touch and the fan has not came on yet.

I tested the fan on my supply before the cover was installed and it worked fine. Its been so long since I have ran one of these I dont remember how long it takes for the fan to come on.

Should I be concerned and which component controls the fan?

I set the fan trim pot and it was working then but not now.

I know its one of the 2 components that sits up against the heat sink, not sure which one of the two I should check?

Yes I applied the compound generously betwwen the transistor and the heat sink.

It was turning faster when I turned the trim pot. I set it so the fan turned then backed it off a little.

The fan is not working at all though now.

Whats the black round barrel looking component on the other side?

Please read #54 first

I think maybe the D41D8 could be defective. I believe it drives the fan.

When the fan is hooked to the wires, the white wire has almost no voltage regardless of the trim pot setting.

If they are unhooked the white wire has a little over 2 vdc at the lowest trim pot setting and 7.36 vdc at the highest trim pot setting.

I have tried a new fan as well, no difference.

The D41D8 that drives the fan was defective. I soldered a new one to the pads real quick after removing the old one and then the fan worked sweet.

I neglected to notice that my power and ground wire were still hooked up, so when I was desoldering the old legs of the transistor, my desoldering iron while touching the emitter pad of the D41D8 location touched the big blue cap next to it, melted through the plastic coating and touched the metal casing of the cap.

The power supply growled and drew a little current, then it went away.

I put the amp back together and when I power it up now it draws about 7-8 amps current.

Do you think that cap is now shorted or what else do you think could be affected?

I was done with the amp, and getting in a hurry and making a simple mistake has now cost me this problem. I am bummed!!

Please read#56 first.

The amp still produces clean audio, there is no DC on the output bridging wires.

However the bias has to be set higher now to get rid of the noise on the op-amps. Which in turn makes the amp draw more current.

The amp draws about 4 amps current at idle, and with the bias set to get rid of the noise its about 7-8 amps current at idle.

Do you think I damaged something in the feedback circuit?

The 2 op-amps in the feedback circuit dont have any voltage on the pins except for the supply pins.

I am at a loss.

The emitter pad of the D41D8 is what touched the metal casing of the big cap next to it.

What do you think?

Please read #59 first.

The heat sink is getting warm from the positive regulator. I believe the positive regulator is getting very warm, although its readings dont seem strange, they look normal.

It has rail at the middle leg, and 15.50 vdc on the outside legs.

Something is making the positive regulator get very hot and I am thinking whatever it is, is causing the issue with the amp.

Thoughts?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.