SS REF 400 issues - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th January 2013, 09:55 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

All of the transistors should be sharing the load equally. Unless something on the board (like one of the snubber resistors) is causing the heating, I think you should do as I suggested earlier to determine precisely what's causing the problem.

These amps often cause extensive damage to the board when they fail. You need to do everything possible to ensure that it doesn't fail again.
Old 17th January 2013, 10:22 AM   #12
azvrt is offline azvrt  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your concern I appreciate it.
Okay we will check the waveforms on the gate legs.

Is using these amplifiers in High Current Mode at high impedances (for instance 4 ohms stereo) where one would normally use it in HP Mode recommended (less stressful for certain parts) if one does not need the full power the amp can deliver in HP Mode ?

What I mean is my listening levels aren't very high and I am in a tiny car with high sensitivity speakers so the demands on the amps are slight, the amps would be powerful enough in HC Mode. Most of my SS amps are of the s / sx or Rubicon models with the auto-switch, but this one has the manual switch so I have a choice. Or does the lowered rail voltage and other effects of HC Mode not affect the strain on the parts ?
Old 18th January 2013, 12:39 AM   #13
jol50 is offline jol50  United States
diyAudio Member

Less rail voltage means the amp is less capable, though that is to make up for lower ohms on the outputs. In general higher voltage and higher ohm loads are better that produces less heat, and why home amps on 8 ohms have less issues in this area.

Be very careful running any amp with no sink, fets will cook very quickly.

What I used to do before I built a load to run an amp into, is I would play about 20-30hz tones and that would heat the amp up without making noise. I had subs that could handle it, and you don't need to play it at full volume the 'duty cycle' of a sine wave is higher it will heat much more than music will. I would try it at maybe 1/4-1/3 gain for a few minutes and check the heat. Usually I could feel the sink get warm and adjust output if I needed to. One of those infrared thermometers is handy for this. You can even play two subs out of phase, just don't damage the subs or amp when you test keep an eye on things.

Last edited by jol50; 18th January 2013 at 12:44 AM.
Old 18th January 2013, 09:12 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

If you think it will be enough power, play the system as loud as you think you ever will and use your scope to see if the amp ever clips. If it does, you need to go to high power. If you never drive it to clipping in HC mode, you can use it there.

Using the amp in HC mode puts less stress on virtually all components but if you're using a light load, running in either mode won't cause any stress on anything (unless this is one of the amps where the regulator resistors operate at VERY high temperatures).

Hide this!Advertise here!