Some input on direction if you may. Thanks - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th March 2013, 04:59 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to MatthewS Send a message via MSN to MatthewS Send a message via Yahoo to MatthewS
what is the impedance and voice coil count on the SPG subs? Would the subs share a single enclosure with no internal space divider? Post those answers back.
Old 10th March 2013, 05:13 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

I for sure know enough not to share the enclosure volume, even if they were running the same output. I have the current spg in the 1.2 cubic foot sealed sq recommended enclosure made out of 1 inch mdf, and was just going to build a twin for the second and ancor them together. I am very very happy with the one running at 25 hz, and plan to do the same with the second. They are both 2 ohm coils, and the jl 1000 is rated at 1000 watts at 2 ohms, and the jl 900/5 is rated at 500 watts at 4-1.5 ohms I belive. It doesn't have the ability to load down.
Old 10th March 2013, 05:35 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to MatthewS Send a message via MSN to MatthewS Send a message via Yahoo to MatthewS
It's actually OK to share internal volume in strict conditions so I have to ask.

Here is the deal. The JL RIPS system will ensure rated output into ANY load within specifications range for the amps. What I would do, if I were you and you were me is this:

Series wire the 2 drivers into a 4 ohm load. Use the jl 1000/1 to drive them. Each will receive 500wrms and the subs will play happily all day long with some degree of reliability. Retire the 5th channel on the 900/5 or replace it with a 400/4 and sell the 900/5 or make it a shelf queen. Conversely you could save that 5th channel for a 3rd SPG in the future.

That's my advice.
Old 10th March 2013, 05:55 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Hmmm, you have given me an idea while mis-understanding my last post. The reason I said that I "wouldn't share" the sub space, was not an intent like I "wouldn't tell you my camshaft specs" but rather that I wouldn't share the actual air space in the sub box between the two subs.
I was however playing with the idea of running 2 8 inch subs under the back seat of my 2 door hoe direct fired.. And if I split the duty between the jl 1000, then split the duty on the 900/5 to my two 8 inchers under the back seat.. That would be tits. Great thought path if you meant it or not.. Bouncing ideas stick the best I find!!
Old 10th March 2013, 06:04 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blownyellow View Post
Hmmm, you have given me an idea while mis-understanding my last post. The reason I said that I "wouldn't share" the sub space, was not an intent like I "wouldn't tell you my camshaft specs" but rather that I wouldn't share the actual air space in the sub box between the two subs.
I was however playing with the idea of running 2 8 inch subs under the back seat of my 2 door hoe direct fired.. And if I split the duty between the jl 1000, then split the duty on the 900/5 to my two 8 inchers under the back seat.. That would be tits. Great thought path if you meant it or not.. Bouncing ideas stick the best I find!!
I understood you and responded accordingly. Perhaps you misunderstood my reply. In certain conditions it is OK for multiple drivers to share the same internal volume, so I had to ask if that was your plan. Question answered and problem solved. Eight inch drivers would make nice midbass somewhere if you design it all right
Old 10th March 2013, 06:27 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Ok cool! While I appreciate your input, do you have any theory on the sound cancellation of two drivers running a 50 percent variation in input wattage? I wanna get your address and send you a quality case of canadian beer for your help, but I need more info to make it a 24 pack. Ha!
Old 10th March 2013, 06:54 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

If you run the 50% variation by using both amps, that is one of those instances you cannot share chamber volume.

That said, as long as they are both in phase you should note no audible cancelation effects.
Old 10th March 2013, 07:20 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

In phase was always the idea, the question was if have 2 identicle speakers running a 50 percent variation in supplied voltage, would that throw off the phasing? I know for a fact that my time alignment is off if I vary wattage to my 3 way components, but am interested about the effect on two identicle subs receiving different voltage.
Old 10th March 2013, 07:42 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

When the subs are stuffed in the trunk in separate enclosures, the answer remains the same:

'That said, as long as they are both in phase you should note no audible cancelation effects.'
Old 10th March 2013, 07:49 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Thank you Matthew. I am looking for the 50 percent more base the extra spg will provide at half wattage. That's all I care about as long as it isn't messing with all this rediculous time I am spending on my 3 way set up. It took many many hours to get this 3 way working.. I am happy to know that running a second sub at half power won't affect sq.

Hide this!Advertise here!