JL Audio 300/4 Low Audio Output Troubleshooting Tip

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Repaired a JL Audio 300/4 Ver1 series with very low audio output on all 4 channels. After some troubleshooting and voltage measurements found pin 3 of U600 on the daughter board had no voltage on it. Pin 3 usually measures approx 4VDC. Problem found to be a open trace connecting R612-R615 caused by a corroded via (plated through hole) had no continuity between top and bottom of brd. See picture.

Hope this info is of help to someone.

Attachments

• Open trace 300 4.JPG
    Open trace 300 4.JPG
    196.2 KB · Views: 172
This is a common problem on JL amps. It always seems to happen near the power/ground terminals. Green corrosion in the vias is a sign that there's a problem. There are almost always several that are near opening (either the pad around the via or the via itself). Many times, you need a high-power lighted magnifying glass to see the damaged (but still connected) traces.

THIS is another thread with a few photos showing the type of damage to look for.

I had 7 other corroded open via's I repaired on the same board including 2 under IC U600. I scraped the coating on the foil both sides to expose the copper, used a dental pick to open up the hole a bit and used 30 gauge buss wire to fill the hole. I used liquid flux to provide better flow through for the solder.

Between the Luxo lamp and a eyeloop I was able to see the corroded via's but some that looked good I found with a meter. I'll have to try that # 80 drill bit method you mentioned in the other JL Audio thread next time.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.