Orion 2350GX - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th December 2012, 08:56 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Orion 2350GX

Hello have an Orion 2350GX on the way broken.

I have not received the amp yet, just wondering if anyone can give an idea of common problems with the amp and things to look out for or precautions?
Pyramid 52 Amp Power Supply----Fluke 787 Processmeter----Tektronix 465 Scope----Velleman HPS40 Scope----Soldering Iron----Desoldering Iron----Hejet HJ 500-S Heatgun----DM4070 Digital LCR Meter----Propane Torch
Old 24th December 2012, 09:29 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

This is one of the few amps that I recommend replacing all of the capacitors. The rail caps are the least likely to fail but if you're replacing the rest, you may as well replace those.

When cleaning the pads for the small caps, a fiberglass scratch pen works very well. If you buy one, get refills for it. Watch for corroded vias on caps where there is a trace on the top side of the board. If the via is gone, you'll have to install the cap a bit off of the board to allow you to solder to the trace on top.

If you decide to replace the rail caps, use the chipquik. Work it well into the via, straighten the legs of the cap (so they don't tear out the vias) and heat both legs alternately to allow you to pull both legs at once.
Old 24th December 2012, 09:44 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

OK thanks Perry, I will post it up with its issues when I get it. I have never been into one before do you know the values of the caps on the board so I can order them ahead of time to lessen my down time?
Pyramid 52 Amp Power Supply----Fluke 787 Processmeter----Tektronix 465 Scope----Velleman HPS40 Scope----Soldering Iron----Desoldering Iron----Hejet HJ 500-S Heatgun----DM4070 Digital LCR Meter----Propane Torch
Old 24th December 2012, 10:00 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I may be able to find the values from photos but that would be useless without the pin spacing.
Old 25th December 2012, 07:22 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

OK I will wait till I get it.
Old 14th January 2013, 06:24 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Ok got the amp, amp powers up and produces audio.

The RCA jacks were rusted solid so I replaced them with new ones I have in stock....only because they are the same as a Rockford HD amp.

I also replaced the 2 10uf 35v caps on the input board.

The 25k gain pots are trashed. I have the exact same pots from a Rockford 250m2 but they are 5k.

What would be the result of installing the 5k instead of the 25k for testing purposes and long term use?

I know the value but can anyone give me an idea of the size and or part number for the originals?
Old 14th January 2013, 07:03 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I think they're only being used as voltage dividers so I don't think it will doanything other than reducing the input impedance of the amp.

Mouser has Piher 15mm pots but they don't appear to have the correct configuration to allow the original shaft to be used for the 25k pot. The 531-PT15NH-10K may work if the pot is only a voltage divider.
Old 14th January 2013, 07:30 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I don't think it will doanything other than reducing the input impedance of the amp.

What will reducing the input impedance of the amp do?
Old 14th January 2013, 09:03 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

It will make the amp a bit harder to drive (but not enough to cause problems with most head units). You would also need to increase the value of the input capacitor from 10uf to about 22uf.

Last edited by Perry Babin; 14th January 2013 at 09:06 AM.
Old 14th January 2013, 09:08 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

OK my head unit has 8v preouts will that cause any issues with the amp?

Hide this!Advertise here!