Need Help Adding Tweeters to Speakers - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th December 2012, 11:11 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Okay I see, So I will put the resistor after the main speaker and somewhere before the tweeter or it non polarized cap? I dont know why I am using a resistor but it will get hot and lower output of the midrange speaker? nof if placed before the tweeter right? I was suggested I use a 5 Watt 4 ohms resistor by someone else in another forum who said since both speakers are 8 ohms I need to use a resistor on each side to bring down the impedance level or that its better overall or something like that. How correct is that?

So you guys are telling me I can connect 2 regular 10uF caps and mimic a 4.7uF cap? how is that done exactly, any guides or diagrams?

Thank you for the help, I really appreciate it.
Old 20th December 2012, 11:28 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

forgot to ask one more thing...the capacitor, does it matter what voltage its rated at? You know some of the ones I have are ratted at 6.3V and some around 10V some 16V.

Also to clearly, When you say it is 4.7uF do you guys actually mean 470uF. So in that case I would grab two 1000uF capacitors, and solider their positive legs together which will make it around 470 - 500uF. right?
Old 20th December 2012, 11:50 AM   #13
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikerman View Post
So you guys are telling me I can connect 2 regular 10uF caps and mimic a 4.7uF cap? how is that done exactly, any guides or diagrams?
As in post #9

4.7 uf sounds in the right ballpark value wise... give or take depending on exact specs. Its certainly not 470uf.

The voltage of the cap needs to be able to stand the peak voltage the amp puts out. The lower the frequency the more voltage the cap "drops".
Old 20th December 2012, 01:04 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

If this is a Sony CD player (I missed the make in the first post), the resistor is definitely not required if you are driving only the mid and the tweeter on that channel of the head unit. If you look up the specs for the head unit, you'll likely find that it's designed to drive a 4 ohm load.

You should be able to find a 4.7uf mylar/film or non-polarized electrolytic capacitor at virtually car audio shop.

The capacitor will never see more than 15v if it's driven from the head unit.
Old 21st December 2012, 01:16 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Babin View Post
If this is a Sony CD player (I missed the make in the first post), the resistor is definitely not required if you are driving only the mid and the tweeter on that channel of the head unit. If you look up the specs for the head unit, you'll likely find that it's designed to drive a 4 ohm load.

You should be able to find a 4.7uf mylar/film or non-polarized electrolytic capacitor at virtually car audio shop.

The capacitor will never see more than 15v if it's driven from the head unit.
Okay Thanks Perry,

Its a Sony CDX-F7710, So I guess I will just skip the resistor altogether? And just hot glue two 10uF caps to the side of per tweeter (with their positive legs connected to each other by a wire) and negative leg connected to the Positive speaker wire and a wire leading to the positive terminal on the speaker. To mimic a non polarized cap? am I right?

I have found some regular 50V 10uF Caps in my tool box.
Old 21st December 2012, 04:08 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikerman View Post
Okay Thanks Perry,

Its a Sony CDX-F7710, So I guess I will just skip the resistor altogether? And just hot glue two 10uF caps to the side of per tweeter (with their positive legs connected to each other by a wire) and negative leg connected to the Positive speaker wire and a wire leading to the positive terminal on the speaker. To mimic a non polarized cap? am I right?

I have found some regular 50V 10uF Caps in my tool box.
Let me know guys...thanks
Old 22nd December 2012, 03:22 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

What is it that was not previously covered that you need to know?
Old 22nd December 2012, 04:34 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Babin View Post
What is it that was not previously covered that you need to know?
Just wanted to double check Perry. Wanted to tell you my CD players Model number and caps I am about to use, You know I am new to this so just wanted you to know and confirm thats all. You know just incaase I had something wrong. better be safe then sorry.

Thanks for your time

Hide this!Advertise here!