Kicker KX amp problems????

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a kicker kx850.2 and kx350.4 and both worked fine one day but the next they just wouldn't turn on at all. So I tested all my wiring and it was fine. I took out the amps and tested them in four other cars and they still would not turn on. They just kept on blowing the fuses and thats all that happened. Opened up and nothing looks blown or burnt and everything seems fine. Any sugestions?

Yes im sure I replaced the transistors with the exact same ones. I didn't buy them from radioshack. I called a place that was close to where I live and they gave me the exact same ones. The numbers matched up and it looked the same and everything. I replaced these in the 350.4. It worked fine for about and hour and same thing except now the fuses blow before I put remote trigger to it.

If the fuses blow as soon as you connect battery power, its probably the psu transistors. test them with a multimeter on the ohm setting and see if any of them has different readings or is shorted. you may want someone to verify as i am a rookie lol Edit: you can also connect the amp with a 12v light bulb in seiries, if the bulb lights up it means the amp is drawing exessive current and will blow fuses

Last edited:
To use a 12v lamp like that, it needs to be a high-power lamp (like a headlamp). The current draw determines the brightness. They can light up a bit and there is no problem. When the headlamp lights to full brightness and remains at full brightness, it generally indicates that there is a problem.

Did you check the gate resistors and the driver transistors before installing the new FETs?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.