Dummy Loads

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I found one of these many years ago. Mine is the EMS 13 90 version 0 to 13 volts and 0 to 90 amps controlled. It draws 15 amps off the wall socket like this so it needs its own 110 circuit if driven to full power. The pic is the 40 25 model but they look the same just different outputs as stated in the name. I have knocked a circuit breaker open with this one so its advisable to have its own 110 circuit. Works like a champ though. IIRC I only paid about $150.00 for this shipped. They sell for $450.00 and up to $700.00 though. Pricey but has been very reliable, and single rack mount size makes it fit the bench nicely. They do have a cooling fan inside them that can be a bit noisy as it seems to have one speed full on. But nothings perfect and I can live with the fan noise issue...:)

PS By the way these are stack-able so if I got one or two more I could cross connect them to get combined output if I need more power. only draw back is that each one will need its own 110 circuit breaker feed. Its a switcher, but even with high efficiency supplies there are limits to how much current a 110 VAC power circuit can deliver.

And for reference purposes a old school PPI art series A600.2 will draw about 80 to 81 amps if driven just below clipping into 4 ohms mono or 2 ohms stereo, so this size supply is only good for about 600 to 700 watts Class AB amps, and about 900 watts Class D amps. After that you will likely need bigger wall power to accommodate anything larger power wise.

Attachments

• 06-27-12-P1430332.JPG
    06-27-12-P1430332.JPG
    133 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.