Using stereo speakers for passenger PA - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th December 2012, 01:22 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Using stereo speakers for passenger PA

I want to use my 2013 GMC 15 passenger vanís car stereo speakers as an in car PA system. Ideally I would be able to key a mic (thinking CB style mic) and have the stereo mute and allow me to speak to the passengers over the stereo speakers. Any suggestions?
Old 13th December 2012, 07:14 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

There are a lot of options but you should know that if you make a mistake when wiring the system, it could result in a costly repair for the radio (which isn't always covered by the vehicle warranty).

CB or 12v PA system >>
Line Output Converter >>
Cheap 'motorcycle' amplifier (eBay) >>
Relays to switch speakers

To trip the relays, you'll either have to tap into the switch for the mic or use a second switch (simpler).

You must use the relays to prevent one amplifier (OEM) from driving the other amplifier (for the PA).

You could also use an RF modulator. Drive the signal from the 12v PA system into the RF modulator. To talk over the speakers, you'd switch the head unit to whatever frequency that the modulator was tuned to. Not as convenient but easier to wire, fewer components and less of a chance of doing damage to the OEM head unit.

Hide this!Advertise here!