HIFONICS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
These 3 big beasts will be my next project, not sure what model the big Zues amp is but its a big beast!!!!

Attachments

• hifonics bunch.jpg
    hifonics bunch.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 144
  • hifonics boards.jpg
    hifonics boards.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
Well I dont have them yet but they are on the way. I worked out a deal with the seller, as we have done business before. The seller is a very cool person to deal with.

Does anyone know what the model of Zues that could be?

Last edited:
All post ZED era offshore made amps. Hifonics never really built a amp in its history anyway. Hifonics was just a name and a sales office. ZED audio made them what they were known for. Then in series XI Hifonics went offshore to API and then to Maxxsonics as I recall, very shortly there after..
API I believe made that one. < look at the end plate is should have a API symbol painted on it. I have several Hercules amps from this era. The API amps had issues with shorting power transformers as I recall and they < Hifonics > actually changed manufacturers to Maxxsonics mid season to solve the quality issues. Maxxsonics now owns Hifonics I think...The black one looks like Maxxsonics, Blue PC Board and what not.

Yes I looked at the oz viper2500 and was going to purchase it as well as the others but dont want to many amps at once and I am not familiar with them. Shoot the seller an offer, he is very reasonable and nice to deal with. He will end the auction early and sell it to you.

All post ZED era offshore made amps. Hifonics never really built a amp in its history anyway. Hifonics was just a name and a sales office. ZED audio made them what they were known for. Then in series XI Hifonics went offshore to API and then to Maxxsonics as I recall, very shortly there after..
API I believe made that one. < look at the end plate is should have a API symbol painted on it. I have several Hercules amps from this era. The API amps had issues with shorting power transformers as I recall and they < Hifonics > actually changed manufacturers to Maxxsonics mid season to solve the quality issues. Maxxsonics now owns Hifonics I think...The black one looks like Maxxsonics, Blue PC Board and what not.

Cool thanks, I started buying hifonics amps in the early 2000's and they all said maxxsonics on the end plate. I dont know what year they switched but always liked Hifonics. Rockford obviously has always been my favorite ever since I was in high school late 80's early 90's. I do like some older orions, soundstream D series, and ppi amps as well. Nothing wrong with pheonix gold just was never into them. Hopefully none of these have a shorted transformer or I will likely be out of luck on them??

Last edited:
I've got a bxi1610 with a bad output choke, I tried rewinding it with no luck. Any of the hifonics I've had on my bench that had transformer shorts were in the PS section, and usually easy to fix (mainly shorted where the wires from the board meet the rest of the coil). I have a newer brz2100 in here now that had 1 shorted transformer, all the ps fets were bad(and drivers of course), plus I had to replace all of the outputs! Talk about a basket case!!

I personally threw away three series XI Zeus's with shorted transformers. I don't give up lightly though. The circuit boards were burned up also and there was pretty much nothing left to work with of the toroids and Hifonics at that time offered no support for parts.
ALL the API manufactured amps had problems with the power supply toroids. Wire chaffing and such. About 6 months later Hifonics had changed suppliers of amp to Maxxsonics. Seems it was very wide spread quality issues. At least that is what I was told by them, when I asked them for support. I remember it was mid season of the production run, so it was a fast move for Hifonics at that time. A couple of years ago I heard maxxsonics had bought out the original owners of the Hifonic's name. So that's about all I know of all that old history. I still have my Series XI Hercules amps. They were cheap and easily rebuilt by me as I recall and I liked the IRFP64N mosfets in the power supply...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.