SAAB and SONY

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm hoping that you knowledable people here will be able to help me in my quest...

I have a SAAB (9-5 2006) that has a reasonable Harmon Kardon 9 speaker system. I want to change the head unit to a SONY XAV-622.

The problem is that the HK amp needs a balanced input. I can just wire in the pre-outs from the HU bet that will result in a loss of between 6db and 14db.

BUT... I have been told that the SONY pre-outs ARE balanced. Does any one know about this?

Or is there a way (cheaply as I'm on a limited budget now) to convert unbalanced to balanced? Could I use a ground loop isolator (I'd have to use it in reverse due to the plug orientation)?

I think what I need is a neat 12v powered circuit with a DRV134 base - has to be 4 channel.

Thanks.

There may be a few sony head units with balanced outputs but most have unbalanced outputs. If you have the Sony, measure the resistance between the RCA shield and the case of the head unit. It if reads near 0 ohms, it's unbalanced.

Some ground loop isolators have different windings on the input and output so reversing isn't always possible. The most common problem when it's backwards is a lack of bass.

The GLI may only work if the input impedance of the HK amp is relatively high.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.