Rockford Fosgate T40001BD Repair

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You could buy one but I would save your money. You can download test tones and burn them to cd's and just use a head unit.

You can also load test tones on your i-pod or phone and use the 1/8" jack to male rca and plug it directly into the amp.

These options would work great for amp repairs.

I agree that you don't really need a signal generator.

I'd suggest a proper head unit with the proper protection. You can use an ipod but some amps will not work properly with any audio source with a floating ground (like an ipod). You can ground the shield to make it usable but you have to protect the shield ground like a standard head unit.

If you use an ungrounded signal source, you'll also miss problems like intermittently shorted transformers. If you are repairing an amp for someone and you miss an intermittently shorted transformer, you may be asked to pay for the damage to the vehicle or to the head unit when they connect it and cause damage to their vehicle or equipment.

thanks for clearing that up. bringing home a fluke 97 scope meter this weeking and will hookup a descent headunit. I have a pyramid 52amp powersupply i purchased off of ebay but the output is at max for 14.5v. used my droid for pandora for an input to the amp hooked up to the powersupply. seemed to clip/distort a little with gain up and thats what made me look at the rail voltage. But now i am wondering if the powersupply is not producing enough power. Will get a car battery and check and see.

Perry,

I removed Q401 for troubleshooting the driver circuit for that bank of outputs and powered the circuit. unfortunately i didn't have my current limiting resistor installed and blew that bank of outputs. Can i remove the blown bank and power the amp to troubleshoot the bank that is not powering up

The current limiting resistor in the B+ line would not have saved the FETs. There is too much secondary capacitance. When working on these amps, the only protection that I've found is either adding fuses or resistors in the red and blue wires.

You shouldn't power up any FET circuit with any of the driver components out of the circuit unless you know the circuit well enough to know that the FETs will be held 'off' when power is applied.

Attachments

• IMG_5976b.JPG
    IMG_5976b.JPG
    21.6 KB · Views: 138
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.