Focal Utopia Be active power handling

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hiya, just a really quick q i hope someone can shed some light on. Ive been searching around for a while and its frikin hard to find a definitive answer on this! i have a pair of utopia 3w2, 6w2 and tbe tweeter. Im going to run these active of alpine f amps, either 2 f4's or an f4 and f6, then bridge the remaining 2 f6 channels to feed a 21wx 300wrms or the f4 and feed it 200wrms. What I want to know is, can i feed all speakers (minus the sub) 100wrms each, safely? and on top of that if i feed the 3w2 and tweet 100wrms should I feed the 6w2 150wrms since its quite a bit larger? (all safely!) and what affect will this 100 x 100 x 150 have on over all sq and blending between each speaker, vs say the 100 x 100 x 100 considering they're 3 very different speakers. Thanks!

You haven't received a definitive answer because there isn't one. Taken from my web site:

What Can My Speakers Handle?:
This question gets asked a lot and the following is my generic answer:

If you want to drive your amplifier up to (but not generally into) clipping, the speakers need to be rated to handle the same power as the amplifier can deliver.

If you're going to get stoned or drunk or if you don't have any ability to detect when there is a problem and will constantly drive your amplifier into hard clipping, your speakers must be rated to handle twice the RMS power that the amplifier can produce cleanly (before clipping).

If you have a good deal of common sense and will listen closely to the speakers for stress (amplifier clipping, suspension bottoming out, popping...), you can probably use virtually any amplifier available.

thanks for the advice, I dont think id be the kind of person to purchase an entire utopia setup if i were to listen to it stoned or drunk :p they go for kicker and rockford fosgate dont they? (jokes!....kinda....)

im going to go the 100 x 100 x 100 route, i can get 2 alpine f4's for a very decent price, i'll bridge the last 2 channels for the 21wx.

Very interesting thing, the alpines come with a "birth" certificate. Apparently they all put out between 122 and 130 per channel from what it seems, the 100wrms is a very modest rating on behalf of alpine.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.