Orion Colbalt 2100 - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd December 2012, 10:35 AM   #41
diyAudio Member

Transistors, diodes and some capacitors have to be installed the correct way but it doesn't matter with resistors.
Old 2nd December 2012, 10:39 AM   #42
diyAudio Member

You wouldnt know as far as testing the transisitors like i did with my orion amp and removing the shorted ones to establish the my problem would work tho on my house stereo? As far as electricution goes thats not a issue for me i know what to stay from in a house stereo :-)
Old 2nd December 2012, 10:41 AM   #43
diyAudio Member

Sorry. No help with the home stereo.
Old 2nd December 2012, 10:44 AM   #44
diyAudio Member

Alright then thats understandable thanks anyways are you familiar with Power Accoustic Amps?
Old 2nd December 2012, 10:47 AM   #45
diyAudio Member

Yes. If you need help with one, start a new thread.
Old 4th December 2012, 10:37 PM   #46
diyAudio Member

I checked the emitter resistors inline with the power output chips the ones i pointed out to you earlier in the thread and a few of them are beeping on my meter with like .047 - .001 ohms do you think these should be replaced before installing the new chips you advised me to get so while waiting to be on the safe side do you feel these resistors should be replace? I dont have a circuitry diagram for this amp just the values on the resistor but correct me if im wrong just cause the values are correct dont they have multiple same style resistors with different wattages?
Old 4th December 2012, 11:16 PM   #47
diyAudio Member

A couple of clarifications...

The term 'chip' is generally used when referring to integrated circuits, not discrete transistors. In general, all of the components clamped to the heatsink (transistors, rectifiers...) are discrete components (with the exception of some voltage regulators). When referring to the transistors, use the term transistor. To be more specific, you can say power supply transistor or output transistor. When the transistors are FETs (MOSFETs), you can refer to them as FETs.

If your meter is reading down to 0.001, it's likely set to diode check. It's very rare that a meter can read to 1/1000th of an ohm. You need to set the meter to ohms when checking the resistors.

There was a missing resistor in your amp. I assume that you noticed that.
Old 4th December 2012, 11:36 PM   #48
diyAudio Member

Ohms as in when its under voltage not when using the diode/volt/ohm cont. check? i had a few by the power supply transitors also that were beeping and near the good channel that is not missing any output transistors and mainly the ones i thought looked discolored so you still think there good your saying?
Old 5th December 2012, 01:49 AM   #49
diyAudio Member

I don't understand the first question.

You don't rely on beeping with checking resistors. You set the meter to ohms (most suitable range for resistor being checked if the meter isn't auto-ranging) and read the value displayed on the meter. Please read the multimeter page of the car audio site (page #37).
Old 5th December 2012, 02:12 AM   #50
diyAudio Member

My meter has on the Continuity Option Diode/resistence check on the screen you can toggle between volts/Ohms then i have on my 4 pin option for ohms which i just use the resistence option in the Continuity and Diode/check i have the craftsman 52002 model

Hide this!Advertise here!