Orion Colbalt 2100

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I checked the emitter resistors inline with the power output chips the ones i pointed out to you earlier in the thread and a few of them are beeping on my meter with like .047 - .001 ohms do you think these should be replaced before installing the new chips you advised me to get so while waiting to be on the safe side do you feel these resistors should be replace? I dont have a circuitry diagram for this amp just the values on the resistor but correct me if im wrong just cause the values are correct dont they have multiple same style resistors with different wattages?

A couple of clarifications...

The term 'chip' is generally used when referring to integrated circuits, not discrete transistors. In general, all of the components clamped to the heatsink (transistors, rectifiers...) are discrete components (with the exception of some voltage regulators). When referring to the transistors, use the term transistor. To be more specific, you can say power supply transistor or output transistor. When the transistors are FETs (MOSFETs), you can refer to them as FETs.

If your meter is reading down to 0.001, it's likely set to diode check. It's very rare that a meter can read to 1/1000th of an ohm. You need to set the meter to ohms when checking the resistors.

There was a missing resistor in your amp. I assume that you noticed that.

Ohms as in when its under voltage not when using the diode/volt/ohm cont. check? i had a few by the power supply transitors also that were beeping and near the good channel that is not missing any output transistors and mainly the ones i thought looked discolored so you still think there good your saying?

Hey perry I recieved the IRFP9140PBF 2 chips today i installed them everything is running on my small 12v 1A power supply and i ran the amp both channels are working then i noticed the chips are running hot on that side of the amp IRFP9140PBF with and the SMW45N10 those 4 are all under the same rail however on the other side those are cool i tried running the amp with the rcas disconnected also and that side is still running hot but the other side is not warm at all both channel are playing music through the speakers sounds ok i just dont understand why there getting so hot any suggests for me?

Measure (and post) the DC voltage across each of the 4 large resistors in the hot channel. You'll have to set the meter to the lowest range. Measure as accurately as possible. A difference of 0.002v could be significant.

Do this with no speakers and no signal source connected to the amp.

Confirm that the voltage across the resistors in the other channel is 0.000 across all of the large resistors.

Hot side
1 - 29.96 Volts SMW45N10
2 - 29.91 Volts SMW45N10 also this resistor is the only one getting hot
3 - 29.47 Volts IRFP9140PBF
4 - 29.47 Volts IRFP9140PBF

Good side i didnt touch this side this side was always working
1- 29.95 Volts SMW45N10
2- 29.95 Volts SMW45N10
3- 29.50 Volts SMW20P10
4- 29.49 Volts SMW20P10

Also with the volt test 5 out of the 8 resistors had slight voltage across

Hot side
1 - 29.96 Volts SMW45N10 across= .001
2 - 29.91 Volts SMW45N10 also this resistor is the only one getting hot across= .005
3 - 29.47 Volts IRFP9140PBF across= .003
4 - 29.47 Volts IRFP9140PBF across= .003

Good side i didnt touch this side this side was always working
1- 29.95 Volts SMW45N10 across= .001
2- 29.95 Volts SMW45N10 across= .001
3- 29.50 Volts SMW20P10 across= .001
4- 29.49 Volts SMW20P10 across= .001

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.