Rockford Fosgate Punch 800.2 - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th December 2012, 09:26 PM   #101
diyAudio Member

Is the signal clean (when the output is distorted) at all frequencies on both terminals of C201?

You can test without a load if there is no significant difference loaded or unloaded.
Old 7th December 2012, 07:42 AM   #102
diyAudio Member

One quick question before we go any further, why do I have full rail voltage on one leg of each regulator?

Well looks like one leg of the regulators are connected to the rail caps so I guess I aswered my own question?

With both regulators removed from the circuit and all the jumpers removed the amp powers up and idles fine?
Pyramid 52 Amp Power Supply----Fluke 787 Processmeter----Tektronix 465 Scope----Velleman HPS40 Scope----Soldering Iron----Desoldering Iron----Hejet HJ 500-S Heatgun----DM4070 Digital LCR Meter----Propane Torch

Last edited by seankane; 7th December 2012 at 08:09 AM.
Old 8th December 2012, 12:38 AM   #103
diyAudio Member

Do you see a direct connection? On the 800.2 diagram, there is a 1N4740 Zener between the regulator and the rail.
Old 9th December 2012, 09:48 AM   #104
diyAudio Member

I see it on the schematic as well, but I do not find them on the board. The only thing I see is the D3 1N4003. What is the purpose of D3?

It looks like they are directly connected to rail voltage, so how does the regulator step down the voltage for the op-amps? Since they are out of the circuit will the outputs still be enabled and the pre-amp section disabled?

D3 seems to be inline the the adjustable part of the regulators. What symptom could I expect if D3 was faulty?
Pyramid 52 Amp Power Supply----Fluke 787 Processmeter----Tektronix 465 Scope----Velleman HPS40 Scope----Soldering Iron----Desoldering Iron----Hejet HJ 500-S Heatgun----DM4070 Digital LCR Meter----Propane Torch
Old 10th December 2012, 01:13 AM   #105
diyAudio Member

D3 stops the DC on the shields from floating too high when no RCAs are plugged in. If it's shorted, the amp will work normally on the bench but will have engine noise when it's in the vehicle. I don't think that there are any serious problems if its open.

As I mentioned before, I'm using the diagram for the 2360 board. If you have the one for your board, email me a copy.

I'm not sure that I understand your question about the regulators. They are integrated circuits that are essentially an op-amp, a voltage reference and a power transistor that pass whatever voltage is 'programmed' into it by the two resistors connected between its terminals and ground. One leg is the output terminal. One leg is the supply leg and the other is the 'adjust' terminal. The adjust terminal is only used for feedback from the output leg to regulate the output voltage.

Is the signal clean (when the output is distorted) at all frequencies on both terminals of C201?

Hide this!Advertise here!