2 Jl 500/1 amps one for parts one for repair - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th November 2012, 01:20 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 2 Jl 500/1 amps one for parts one for repair

I'm kinda new to repairing amps but I can follow instructions really good, haha but really I am kinda up to speed with automotive electronics, but I do need help.
Here's the thing I just acquired two non working 500/1 JL audio amps One amp has an Ohm's light that seems to stay on indefinately and the other turns on fine but doesn't seem to produce anything more than a barely audible 10 decibels from my sub (which is a brand new 15in JL W0V3 SVC 4Ohm) both amps worked in different cars less than a year ago and are in good physical shape so I'd like to fix both if possible or at least get on good working amp outta this.
Old 4th November 2012, 01:42 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

The one with the low impedance LED lit may have shorted output transistors.

With the black probe on the amp's ground terminal, what is the DC voltage on the positive and negative speaker terminals?
Old 4th November 2012, 03:10 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

ill have to go borrow a multimeter tomorrow since my doesnt seem to be in my toolbox and get back to you on that. I also at some point and time have to go pick up the amp with the Low OHM light on. The amp I'm more concerned about is the one that seems to power on fine but doesn't produce any real volume...no matter what amp settings, speaker config, or head unit???
Old 4th November 2012, 07:16 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Another question will a rev 10 work in place of a rev 3?
Old 4th November 2012, 07:25 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

and also do I need power to the amp to check out dc voltage on my speaker terminals?
Old 4th November 2012, 10:25 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

For this thread, pick one amp and describe which one you choose in your next post in this thread. For the other amp, start another thread, listing the problems/symptoms for it.

Yes. The amp must be powered up normally when measuring the voltage on the speaker terminals.
Old 4th November 2012, 10:29 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

ok perry Were gonna stick with the low ohm light for this thread.
Old 4th November 2012, 10:49 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I tested the speaker terminals to ground and found 76.4v on both positive and negitive from my understanding they should read around 40ish??? does that sound right and whats my next diagnoseing step?
Old 4th November 2012, 10:51 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Are you sure that you checked one positive and one negative? It's strange that both are positive and that both are the same.
Old 4th November 2012, 10:57 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

yes I checked both it is dark outside and Its possible I missed the negitive, I'll go try this one more time

Hide this!Advertise here!