Help on building a sytem and everything... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st November 2003, 03:23 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to infernox
Arrow Help on building a sytem and everything...

Hello all.

Im building my new system. I need some advice and help.

First the questions:

How do I connect a extra battery to my system?
How do I run more than one amp from my battery?
How big enclosure should i use with 2 15: subs?
Will fibreglass be a good idea to use as a enclosure?

I want to create a a custom installation so fibreglass is my only out... Also what size Ports should I use??

I will be running two Calibra 15" Stealth Subs.
2 Blaster 1200 Watt Monoblock Amps (one for each sub)
1 Blaster 600 Watt 4Ch
2 Calibra Stealth 6 1/2 Inch Split Systems

Everything I want to look good but give DAMN good SPL.
Please assist if you can.

Thanx
Old 2nd November 2003, 06:30 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Help on building a sytem and everything...

Quote:
Originally posted by infernox
Hello all.

Im building my new system. I need some advice and help.

First the questions:

How do I connect a extra battery to my system?
How do I run more than one amp from my battery?
How big enclosure should i use with 2 15: subs?
Will fibreglass be a good idea to use as a enclosure?

I want to create a a custom installation so fibreglass is my only out... Also what size Ports should I use??

I will be running two Calibra 15" Stealth Subs.
2 Blaster 1200 Watt Monoblock Amps (one for each sub)
1 Blaster 600 Watt 4Ch
2 Calibra Stealth 6 1/2 Inch Split Systems

Everything I want to look good but give DAMN good SPL.
Please assist if you can.

Thanx
if you dont get an answer to this soon, maybe you should have a look at a dedicated car audio forum, such as CarAudioForum.com
Old 2nd November 2003, 06:30 PM   #3
Dj Dfa is offline Dj Dfa  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Dj Dfa
Well, im not expert with car audio, I am just getting really interested in it. But there might be a few things I can help you with. As far as connecting another battery, You can either connect it in paralell or in series. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. I forget which one does which, but one will give you more power but wont last any longer than the first battery will, and one will give you the same power but last twice as long as the first batter. I also dont know which one is more commonly used in the car audio industry.

More amps to one batter.....in my car, I had a 400 watt bass amp and a 200 watt amp for my mids and trebble. What the installer did was take one wire from the battery and then he split it and sent one wire to each amp. Now, these amps are MUCH smaller than what you're running, and i only had one battery too. The guy also split the grounding wire too. But for your grounding, you could just connect it to the negative side of your battery.

The enclosure I think matters on the size of the sub, the company, whether you want it ported or sealed and t/s paramaters. I'm not exactly sure with all of this. What I've seen is you need to find the manufacurer's recomended enclosure space. But I'm pretty sure theres ways to find it without the recomended area, I just dont know how to.

As far as fiberglass...i have noooooo idea with building boxes and what they're made of. Like I said, I'm just getting into all this, but i would like to know more. If you have aol or aim you can IM me Djdfa...its the same as this. We can talk on this more.

Theres something i'd like to ask you though, have you heard your 15's yet? the ones you plan on installing. or did you just pick em out and decide to install em. What i'm wondering is do you find that 15's replicate all the frequencies well? My roomate in college has 2 15's and they hit hard. dont get me wrong, they hit SOOO hard...its just that they are VERY innacurate when it comes to all the frequencies. I've heard this before about 15's but do you find that to be the case?
Old 2nd November 2003, 08:57 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

right after i typed my reply, i found a website that has a free program that has almost every speaker on the market and it will tell you everything you need to know about the kind of box you might want to build. http://www.linearteam.dk/ then go to downloads and d/l the program winisd. its the first one under "downloads"
Old 3rd November 2003, 04:45 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to infernox
thanx man for the info.

any info is really welcome. so anything u find please tell me.
Old 4th November 2003, 02:58 AM   #6
bknauss is offline bknauss  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to bknauss
For the system you're speaking of, you don't need an extra battery unless you're going to run your system while the car is off for long periods.

Before getting another battery, the first thing to upgrade is the alternator. If the headlights dim after that upgrade, consider a 1 F cap.

I wouldn't use winisd for an enclosure with two subs. It doesn't calculate multiple drivers correctly. You could actually calculate the size for one sub, then do two of those boxes.

'Glass is good for for custom jobs.
Old 4th November 2003, 04:09 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I dun think the 1F cap will help much if the lights are dimming real bad...with the volatge sagging...the amp might experience some compression...maybe a battery and alternator upgrade will do good for your car...
Old 4th November 2003, 06:00 PM   #8
bknauss is offline bknauss  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to bknauss
Forgot the wiring answer:
For having more than one amp off of one battery, there's a thing called a distribution block. It takes a larger guage cable from the positive of the battery and splits it into 2 or more smaller guages (smaller meaning going from 10 ga to 12ga or something of that nature).

A little more explanation on alternators and caps. Alternators are by far the best thing you can do for dimming headlights or any other sign of not having enough power supplied to the amps. Caps are a $100 bandage for a larger problem. Its like trying to stop the bleeding of a severed finger with a paper towel... its better than using nothing to heal the problem, but it never actually solves the problem.
Old 5th November 2003, 06:15 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

So, now I'm wondering..at what point would you want to run an extra battery? Also, when constructing a box, what is the difference between glass, plexi glass, wood, carpeted wood...anything. If anyone can IM me through aol or aim on djdfa, i would GREATLY appreciate it to talk about this sort of thing. I'm just getting into car audio and i really want to find out more. any information is good information.
Old 5th November 2003, 06:19 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

forgot to ask something...when your building a box out of say, wood, can you just nail your boards together and throw in your sub? or do you have to seal it with something like silicone or something? thanks again.

Hide this!Advertise here!