Hifonics Brutus BXI1610 Amp in Protect mode

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If there are no shorted output transistors and no output transistors with broken legs, the most common fault for amps using this driver board is the failure of the two transistors in the yellow rectangle.

Attachments

• bxi2006daudiodriverboard01b2x.jpg
    bxi2006daudiodriverboard01b2x.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 308
Any time that the transistors are off of the sink, you have to be very careful until you know that there is no fault that will cause the FETs to heat up. Even with no fault, sometimes the FETs (or other components) can heat up and fail. Sometimes it happens quickly and sometimes it takes several minutes for them to begin to overheat.

The other 1D and 2D transistors on the boards sometimes fail but it's not as common.

I've checked transistors in the circuit before and they checked open but after removing them, they appeared to be OK. I'd suggest replacing them. They run very hot. Generally, the board is discolored under those transistors because they operate at such high temperatures.

Does anyone have the part number for Q6/Q7? I see where one person substitutes a MPSA42 in to-92 package for more power handling. Is there a schematic of this circuit anywhere? Are these NPN transistors just used as switches?

Does the discoloration on D5/D6 on driver board mean anything? I guess I can take diodes off and check them.

Next I will install heat sink clips, and remove driver board and see if protect light goes out.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.