2SA1266

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
How is it being used?

The pin configuration is different for the 56. It can be used for a driver in the power supply if you twist the legs to get the right legs in the correct locations.

If you need subs for power supply drivers, keep the BD139 and BD140 in stock. I've never found an amp that they wouldn't work in (used as PS drivers in amps that use transistors with ECB pin configuration).

They are being used as power supply drivers in a power acoustic amp.

The amp originally uaed FQP50N06 p/s fets and I subbed MTP50N06V. The gate resistors were 100ohm which work fine with the new fets.

Problem is I have 2 p/s fets that are getting hot and I cant figure out why??? You would think if the drivers are bad both groups on the one side would get hot not one from each group.

There are 4 groups of 3 total. The amp powers up and does not draw excess current but 2 of the p/s fets are getting hot. The gates are all good, there are no solder bridges, all the outputs are removed, I dont get it.

The amp is a Power Acoustik PS2-1600.

Last edited:
The amp only uses the PNP drivers, no NPN drivers. There are a few zenner diodes in that section but I am unsure exactly how to test them. Its just odd that 1 fet from each group is getting hot.

I will try and move them to see if that problem follows them. I have many MTP50N06V in stock as well I could also just try 2 new ones.

If the problem does not follow them I will post a pic of the board, I am not really that familiar with these amps, or whats what on them. I mainly only work on Fosgate amps because they are what I like and collect.

This should be a breeze compared to a 1500bd or a T30001 I guess huh?

OK well all the replacement fets are of the same date code, and the amp is not clamped in the sink, but I didnt think anything of it since none of the other fets are getting warm. The amp does not draw current, idles ok, do you think if I clamp it down it would be fine or should I investigate those 2 fets?

I started with one and after 3 tries I found one that didnt heat up. I went on to the next one replaced it and now all the power supply fets heat up equally. The board is not clamped, probably normal for unclamped fets to heat up.

I clamped the board and let the amp idle for about 10 min. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary, nothing seemed hot. I am waiting on the TIP35C/TIP36C outputs I ordered from Arrow to see if the amp will produce audio.

I am thinking the supply is fine?? I do have a square waveform on the gates of the MTP50N06V's its not perfectly square but its square.

Last edited:
Perry I was wondering.....this amp uses .15 ohm source resistors, do you think it would be safe to use the .1 ohm source resistors I stock for Rockford amps as a sub???

I ordered the outputs from Mouser they will be here this week just want to get the board ready.

I installed all of the outputs and powered the amp. The green light no longer comes on, according to the amp meter on my power supply it does not draw any current but the power supply sounds like its really loaded and bogging down by the sound of the fan.

Any ideas? Should I post a pic of the board?

I am posting a pic of the board, my meter shows the voltage at the amps terminals dropping to 5VDC when trying to power up but the amp meter on the power supply is not indicating any current draw and I know its working.

It does jump up for a second then goes right to zero, the amp powered up fine without the outputs installed.Maybe there are some drivers for the outputs shorted?

Should I hook up ground and remote only then give the TL494 readings?

Attachments

• Acoustik 1600 board 001.jpg
    Acoustik 1600 board 001.jpg
    1,006.6 KB · Views: 65
Please read post #18 and #19

I started installing the outputs one at a time until I found the one causing the short. Q117 was the culprit which I dont understand because they were all new outputs. I replaced it with another and the amp powers up fine..........

Although its not in the sink yet. Maybe there is a hole in one of the thermal pads and it contacted the heat sink??

Could I have gotten a bad one new from Arrow???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.