using Yamaha Amplfiers 110v in car

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi i have 2 very fine Yamaha B-4 and B-5 amplifiers.
Build like tank.
I intend to use a pair in car for their SQ. its so good as compared to off the shelf amplifier , i have compared them with Focal 2.150 car amps at home using 12V SMPS (120A) using A/B comparison. The yamahas won hands down. the mids and highs very very good.
They are to be crossed over 80Hz for front and rear components and are 200 W into 8 ohm and 300W per channel into 4 ohm. obviously i will have much headroom for the componets .
Currently i am driving the front and rear components with a pair of focal 2.150 which are 150W per channel into 4 ohm but they get really hot after an hour or so of use . hence the temptation to use yamaha in car.
i plan to use an inverter 1000W to get 110V ??
My only worry is PSRR would there be any engine/inverter RF noise ???

Some inverters generate a "modified sine wave" output.

This is a stepped waveform that may only peak at 150V

The RMS output is valid for heaters, motors, etc but some electronic devices that (post transformer) rectify the AC will not get the DC output that is produced with a sine wave (170Vp)

I had a TV (CRT type) once that would not stay on because of reduced peak supply voltage.

Despite the higher frequency switching for the overall voltage conversion, there may still be switching (fast dV/dt) components to the output waveform that will affect your system.

Try it and let us know the results.

(Watch out for the "modified sine wave" output fine print.)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.