Rockford Fosgate T30001

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I may be able to come up with something, But I have the output board unplugged from the power supply board, red-white-blue-and both ribbon cables. The amp should power up even being not connected to the output board. Thats why I was thinking the fault is on the power supply side.

It does the same thing hooked to the output board or unhooked, so until I can get the amp to power I didnt see a need to have the output board hooked up.

Am I wrong to think the power supply board will power up not connected to the output board?

OK but when I try to power it up the power light does not even attempt to come on it just squeels and draws about 20 amps on the power supply. It seems like something is shorted but its not the p/s fets.

You think I should just leave the power to it and see if it will over come the squeeling and power up?

OK.......a few things did get hot and even smoked.

D33....hot
D34....smoked
D35....hot
D36....hot and desoldering itself

C78, C79, C5 felt warm.

It was hard to tell exactly which components it was but the heat was coming from one concentrated area. I cant find my heatgun and I was not sticking my finger on the board not knowing what voltage is where on this thing.

Can I or can I not clip those D33-D35 out of the circuit and then try and power up amp??

Changing Q36 made no difference, still same result.

If any of these D33 D34 D35 D36 were faulty could this cause this issue?

Can I clip them out of the circuit and safely power the amp?

D36 appears to have a crack in the component, not sure if it was caused by letting it try to power or previous from the huge spark from the red wire?

Looking at the schematic they seem to be connected to the voltage regulators.....if one of those was shorted could it cause this issue?

The wierd thing about it is the power light is not even attempting to come on or even flickering when trying to power up.

I removed D34 and D36 from the circuit and checked them with my meter and they read funny compared to the rest. I removed 2 BYV27-100's from a Punch 250M2 parts board I have.

I installed the used parts into the big beast......and it powered up!!!

Something is still not right. It powers up and idles and is drawing about 7 amps of current which I think is normal but one of the transformers is making a wierd frequency noise sounds like crickets chirping softly.

I no longer have clean output, there is bouncing DC offset on the output terminals jumping from 0.090vdc to 0.555vdc and sometimes as high as 1 or 2 volts DC. It will produce a audio wave but its real irratic and choppy, probably because of the DC.

Is there anymore components affiliated with the D34 and D36 that could be making the supply act strangely? It has steady current draw and seems stable but the noise was not there before.

The outputs are not getting hot bolted to the heat sink, but I can feel the heat sink getting warm around the outputs.

I know this is alot of info at once but I want to make the issues known and clear so maybe it will be easier to help. Please let me know what you think???

Please read post #52 and #53 first.

If I unhook the output board the power supply board idles great at about 2.5 amps with no noises or issues. I think the problem is on the output board.

I think replacing D34 and D36 has fixed the power supply board now?

I think Q410, Q405, Q404, Q403, Q432, Q420, Q419, Q418 are the fets that switch the rails?

I think Q403, Q402, Q411, Q431, Q433, Q429, Q428, Q427 are the fets that produce the audio?

Q433, Q429, Q428, Q427 all have the same bouncing DC on their drains so can I be wrong to say these could be leaky now after the big surge?

Q403, Q402, Q411, Q431 all have a steady drain of 0.000 vdc.

Maybe the transformer that has the noise with the output board connected is the one that drives the audio fets and if they are leaky could be causing the noise?

Just trying to enlighten all possibilties.

Do you mean all of the rectifiers and the regulators for the op-amps?

I dont know where they all are I just know the LM317, LM 337 and the MUR1520's. I will check all those is there anymore I need to be aware of?

Should I be checking all of the op-amps for DC as well again?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.