Punch 250M vs Punch 500M - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th October 2012, 06:17 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Punch 250M vs Punch 500M

Hello everyone.

I have both amps side by side and own several of each. I have repaired both and used both.

Can anyone tell me the difference between the two? The boards look identical.

The schematic is identical, is there a difference in rail voltage, cause I dont see really any differences in the board.
Pyramid 52 Amp Power Supply----Fluke 787 Processmeter----Tektronix 465 Scope----Velleman HPS40 Scope----Soldering Iron----Desoldering Iron----Hejet HJ 500-S Heatgun----DM4070 Digital LCR Meter----Propane Torch
Old 19th October 2012, 01:19 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

When the model numbers transitioned from xxx-dot to xxx-a, the model numbers changed from the total 4 ohm stereo power rating to the total 2 ohm stereo power rating. Were these produced at the time of the transition? If so, that could be why the same amp has power ratings that are a factor of 2.
Old 21st November 2012, 10:00 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

These amp were neither . or a series. They were both produced in the same era and heat sink design, the BBQ style. One had a black heat sink and one had a metallic grey heat sink. They both have the same power rating at 2 ohms and 4 ohms. I guess I could pull 1 of each off of the shelf and see if the 500M has more rail voltage than the 250M but as far as the board goes they are identical other than the board number.

Just wondering how Rockford differentiated the 2 as the 500M was higher priced, maybe more rail voltage to drive same rated load to higher power without clipping?

The 250M you helped me with awhile back is running great, I guess I could swap it out with a 500M to see if I hear an audible difference but likely I wont hear any difference.
Pyramid 52 Amp Power Supply----Fluke 787 Processmeter----Tektronix 465 Scope----Velleman HPS40 Scope----Soldering Iron----Desoldering Iron----Hejet HJ 500-S Heatgun----DM4070 Digital LCR Meter----Propane Torch
Old 21st November 2012, 11:33 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I don't know why Rockford had 2 different models of the same amp. If you know someone that was at Rockford or was a rep at the time when these were being produced/sold, maybe they could answer your question.
Old 22nd November 2012, 04:10 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Iirc the 500m has better power ratings @ 2 & 4 ohms but the later 250m has a better 1 ohm rating and two 250m's strapped together produces more power than the same setup w/500m's.
Old 22nd November 2012, 06:12 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

They were both rated at 250 watts rms @4 ohms and 500 watts rms @ 2 ohms. I didnt ever see any 1 ohm ratings, and I know you can strap em up but never did hear any setups like that. I have several of each guess I could try it LOL!!!
Old 22nd November 2012, 06:57 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

You could bridge two of them together into a common load by using the bridge switch on one of the amp to put it out of phase with the other. Total power at 4 ohms mono was 1000 watts, same as the 2 ohm rating in stereo. I never heard of any one ohm rating on any of this series of black and grind amp... Oh and I happen to own two of these with a mating spacer module and end caps with a voltmeter in the middle spacer, all set up for a bridged setup. I managed to loose one of my bottom plates while they were being custom painted, anyone got one let me know. I never got to install these so they are still new inside....So many amps, so little time...lol...
Old 22nd November 2012, 07:56 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Sounds like your talking about the 250.1 and 250.2 the next series. The ones I was discussing were the DSM BBQ style amp. I have brand new bottom covers like around several hundred for various Rockford amps that were purchased directly from Rockford all new in wrappers.

Give me the exact model you need.

The 500M and 250M could also be strapped together as prime mova had mentioned but they did not have a bridge switch they has a phase switch though. You ran the positves from each amp to the sube and the negatives were hooked together and they phase switch set accordingly to whatever amp went to positive and negative on the sub.

The 250X2 and the 50X2 had an easy bridge switch as well as the 250M2 as well as the later series 250.2, and 50.2.
Old 22nd November 2012, 09:50 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Rockford Fosgate's figures from there 1995 & 1996 RTTI Manual ---

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
Old 22nd November 2012, 09:54 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Over 1000 watts at 1 ohm WOW!!!!

Hide this!Advertise here!