portable testing power supply - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th October 2012, 09:14 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

The battery shouldn't ever be that low. It would only be used to deliver current when the supply was overloaded. If it did get discharged, you could insert your current limiter between the supply and the battery until it charged.

Diodes will run very hot and will have to be the type that you can mount to a heatsink if you want to use them.

I have a battery disconnect that I use to break the connections between the battery and my power supplies. I don't often use the battery so it's generally disconnected. If I don't use it for a month or more, I'll turn the switch on so the battery can fully charge but it generally only takes a few minutes.
Old 14th April 2013, 02:37 PM   #12
wrxer is offline wrxer  Australia
diyAudio Member

This is my testing bench and doubles as shed tunes as well.
The power supply is detailed on this thread on page 1. The resistors are 4x 200w 8 ohm and are configured as 2x 400w 4ohm. they can be bridged to be 800w at 2ohm. i have seen them at 96c with my digital temp gauge.
Stereo head unit is a old one from my proton ute, the front outputs are connected to 2 4" speakers in boxes (1 in pic). The stereo has rca rear outputs and these are used for the amp testing.
Also I have a sony 12" 1400w boxed sub for testing and tunes.
There is a choked power output via a small wire that is coiled up in the pic, it has a 10a fuse and a 35w light to restrict the power.
My next addition will be a digital volt panel meter for the front of the power supply, so i can check at what stage I am running out of power supply. But at present it seems plenty big enough. the sony sub is running out of travel at times it seems.
20130414_201823[1].jpg

20130414_201848[1].jpg

Hide this!Advertise here!