Orion 2150GX Repair Help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
knil7777....
I think the spec sheet says its stable to 4 ohms stereo, so, normally when you bridge it, the stability of the amp will only handle a max load of 8 ohms. One of my amps says its stable to 1/2 ohm stereo but in mono its 1 ohm stable. Some one tell me I'm wrong :p
Just don't want that old thing to blow up again!
Scott

Thanks Scott, I studied that instruction file on the bridge you sent me and it was hard for me to determine. It looked like it had one summed mono config with the 2-8 ohm speakers wired in parallel but it did not specify which specific orion amp it reccomended for that (probably the HCAA model) config. I bet you are right, when I went back and looked at the specs it did say the orion 2150 GX was only good down to 4 ohms in stereo. I called my brother and had "the talk" (LoL) about not putting this amp under that type of load. Of course he told me the guy at the sound shop said it could handle 2 ohms and that orion under rates their amps. He also had an interesting story about the first time he had the amp repaired under warranty. He said orion sent a note back recommending that he run another battery in parallel to help support the power demand, he had also complained about engine noise and they soldered that other negative wire to the ground side of the step up voltage side of the transformer. Which orion recommended grounding that wire with the head unit to eliminate engine noise (I'm not sure if I see the benefit in this since it seems like most amp keep the low side and high side grounds of transformers separate).
Kelvin

Thanks, my brother said he found the bridge 400 module and also thinks he has the orion crossover part as well, that allows him the option to at least push a 4 ohm sub in bridged mode. With the cross over, bridge and the repaired amp as a package it might increase the value, although after this repair job, I am kind of have a personal connection with it. I may see if he will let me have it and I can incorporate it into my system and show it off. Again, I would like to thank everyone for their help with this. I am now batting 5 for 5 on amp repairs, but I could not have done without leveraging the expertise of you guys.

Kelvin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.