A few Componant replacement questions - help! :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey there, thought I would seek expert help as even though I have a good bit of audio and electric knowledge and I'm willing to do my homework, I have some specific questions on crossovers as slope that I don't know anything about. Some solid advice is really appreciated.

So here I the deal. Semi-clapped out Toyota matrix with infinity components up
Front ..Infinity Reference 6020cs 6-1/2" component speaker system For 6-1/2" and 6-3/4" openings at Crutchfield.com. Some cheese ball two way rears. And a 12" infinity Sub in a small enclosure in the rear. The fronts and sub are driven by a Rockford amp. Rockford Fosgate Punch P450.4 4 Channel Amplifiers at Onlinecarstereo.com

So in my not so youthful exuberance I blew the midrange driver on the drivers side and need a replacement. My question is, can I use the infinity crossover to drive A set of Dayton 180 6.5"? I can get a good deal
On a pair of 180's and Seas prestige tweeters and the 180's seem like the handle the power a little better. Some of have said however that the 180's need very specific set ups to sound the best. Any thoughts?

Other questions..since my rears are only driven by the head unit (and they are also blown (amped them for awhile before sub) should I just not run rears?

I am also thinking of just buying a whole new component setup in lieu of the 180 and seas solution. Either the cheaper Polk audio...Polk Audio db6501 6-1/2" component speaker system — also fit 6-3/4" openings at Crutchfield.com
Or the DLSu6i that people really seem to like but are really double what I'm looking to pay. I appreciate good sound but money is a little tight.

Thanks a again for any suggestions!!

Hi.

Crossovers and driver frequency response are closely related. Also the phase-response of a crossover network comes into play. For a simple 1 or 2 pole/zero crossover network the rule of thumb is that your speakers or drivers should be able to handle the full power at twice the crossover frequency for the bass driver and one half the crossover frequency for the mid or high frequency driver. if you cut that too close, damaged drivers is the result. As an example your bass driver can deliver full power to 500Hz. That means that the crossover frequency should be 250Hz for that driver. A mid-range speaker or squawker unit should cover 125Hz and up.

I know these are tough requirements, but so is the life of high quality Audio. This rule of thumb is quite conservative, especially if you use a two pole/zero type crossover network. You could probably safely set the four element crossover network at 350Hz and have the squawker cover 250Hz and up under full power.

This type of aggressive design, requires more carefully designed crossover network topology. First you must put an RC compensator across each driver unit. The filter needs that to load the filter output properly. I determine this compensator by measuring the driver impedance above resonance and note the frequency where the impedance of the low frequency driver has increased by 50% i.e. gone from 6 ohms to 9 ohms for example. For a simple system compensating the low frequency driver is normally all you have to do.

Good luck, and happy listening.

Hans J Weedon

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.