4-Track? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th September 2012, 01:13 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 4-Track?

Hey Guys,

First timer here...

I stumbled across this car stereo in a bin with 6 others last night at the auction. I tried looking online for the model # 814NU and have came up with Zippo. Is this a 4-track player? What the heck was that? I can remember 8-track, but that's it for me. LOL!!!

Any help anyone can offer me would be gratefully appreciated.

Here are a few pics.

Twitpic - Share photos and videos on Twitter

I hope the links work. I've never had much luck posting pics. I can email them to someone of they might be able to post them for me.

Thanks again.
Old 15th September 2012, 07:04 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

It's a (once upon a time) common 8-track player. 4 "tracks" of stereo = 8 tracks. Almost certainly fully discrete circuitry inside, as I'd guess it's no later than mid-70's vintage. Anything specific you're looking to find out about it?
Old 15th September 2012, 10:50 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

If I'm not mistaken. the 4-track had 4 mono channels. The 8-track had 4 stereo channels. In this type of 4-track, you can only listen to one track at a time. In the 8-track, two channels (left/right) at a time.

There is another type of 4-track (generally cassette-tape based) that allows recording onto 4 tracks at a time and when playing back, all 4 channels play back (generally mixed down to two channels). These were used producing audio from 4 mics/instruments that would later be used to produce a stereo recording. Having 4 tracks allowed the individual tracks to be EQ'd and have their levels adjusted prior to making the final tape.
Old 15th September 2012, 12:22 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I'm just trying to dig up some info so I can properly list it on eBay. I spent $6 on a bin at the auction and picked up this 4-track, a 1954 Ford Bendix 4BF radio, 1969 Delco 91APB1 radio, and a Mopar Model 220 radio for 1964 Plymouths.

Thanks for the help so far.
Old 15th September 2012, 12:52 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Have you tried posting a message on one of the vintage car restoration sites? Maybe someone there will know something about it.
Old 15th September 2012, 01:36 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I will do...thanks

Hide this!Advertise here!