car amps sq

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i wonder how car amps would compare with home amps in terms of sq.

have anybody try them at home?

i think they are cheaper for what they offer and powering them could be

easily solved if somebody bypass their psu and use an smps powering

directly the amp.

this is diy after all.

I, and many have done it, but it is just mainly because the equipment is there. to keep good sq is a little tricky, which i imagine to be that much harder using a comp p/s. remember, in a house amp/reciever, you are taking ac and rectifying/filtering to dc to feed the outputs. now throw a 12v amp in there, and you have ac->dc->ac->dc->output. imho, sq vs sq, you are better off finding a home unit you like, and would probably be money ahead. as for diy- why not play with it, or why not get a diy home amp?

I, and many have done it, but it is just mainly because the equipment is there. to keep good sq is a little tricky, which i imagine to be that much harder using a comp p/s. remember, in a house amp/reciever, you are taking ac and rectifying/filtering to dc to feed the outputs. now throw a 12v amp in there, and you have ac->dc->ac->dc->output. imho, sq vs sq, you are better off finding a home unit you like, and would probably be money ahead. as for diy- why not play with it, or why not get a diy home amp?

as i wrote at my previous post i was talking about bypassing the smps

and using another one.

there are cheap smps these days with very high quality.

you can buy an audison vrx for 400$ and an smps would cost another 100$

the question is how good it is compared with home amps.

can you give more info at the amps you used?

Most solid state amplifiers sound precisely the same, no matter where they were designed to be used. The reason they sound the same is because all of them use global negative feedback. This corrects for distortion at the output. When two amps sound different (and neither is driven to clipping), it's generally due to something in the crossover or equalization circuit.

If you're going to modify an amp, you should be aware that some require additional power supply voltages. Most all require ±15 for the op-amps. Others require driver supplies that operate above the rail voltage. These are often produced from additional windings on the power transformer but sometimes the voltage is produced by voltage doublers.

Most solid state amplifiers sound precisely the same, no matter where they were designed to be used. The reason they sound the same is because all of them use global negative feedback. This corrects for distortion at the output. When two amps sound different (and neither is driven to clipping), it's generally due to something in the crossover or equalization circuit.

If you're going to modify an amp, you should be aware that some require additional power supply voltages. Most all require ±15 for the op-amps. Others require driver supplies that operate above the rail voltage. These are often produced from additional windings on the power transformer but sometimes the voltage is produced by voltage doublers.

how strange.

in 25 years i never met two different amps sounding the same.

maybe i have big imagination.

Hi,

There are quite few "studio" amplifiers and PA amplifiers that are simply
moreorless the same as car amplifiers driven by an SMPS, only they are
more suited to 4 ohms per channel and 8 ohms bridged than 2 and 4.

Amazon.com: Samson Servo 200 Stereo Power Amplifier, 200 Watts: Musical Instruments

31dRj9vk92L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

$200. So very little point messing about with 12V car amplifiers.

$100 for 1000W - very car like :

http://www.amazon.com/Pyramid-ZPA10...7978913&sr=1-4&keywords=100w+amplifier+studio

31uM%2BBLV7fL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

rgds, sreten.

Last edited:
Hi,

There are quite few "studio" amplifiers and PA amplifiers that are simply
moreorless the same as car amplifiers driven by an SMPS, only they are
more suited to 4 ohms per channel and 8 ohms bridged than 2 and 4.

Amazon.com: Samson Servo 200 Stereo Power Amplifier, 200 Watts: Musical Instruments

31dRj9vk92L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

$200. So very little point messing about with 12V car amplifiers.

$100 for 1000W - very car like :

Amazon.com: Pyramid ZPA100 1000 Watts Stereo Powered Amplifier: Musical Instruments

31uM%2BBLV7fL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

rgds, sreten.

my purpose isn`t to find a cheap amp.

i have heard old school amps with great bass and i wonder how would they

sound at home.

Whenever i construct an amp powered from the mains power, and then construct the same amp powered from a 12V step up smps, the sound between the two is very very different.
Personally, i think the smps version sounds much better, but my smps are not cheap, neither simple.

I agree with Perry that most amps that use global feedback sound about the same, and i have to add that there are many different kinds of feedback, and that can make a lot of difference.

Keep in mind that most car amps have their protection circuits tied with the smps, something almost impossible to do with an external mains operated smps.

Whenever i construct an amp powered from the mains power, and then construct the same amp powered from a 12V step up smps, the sound between the two is very very different.
Personally, i think the smps version sounds much better, but my smps are not cheap, neither simple.

I agree with Perry that most amps that use global feedback sound about the same, and i have to add that there are many different kinds of feedback, and that can make a lot of difference.

Keep in mind that most car amps have their protection circuits tied with the smps, something almost impossible to do with an external mains operated smps.

are you telling me that the step up smps of good car amps are better than

linear power supplies of home amps?

p.s.here is something i didn`t know.

protection circuit could be a serious problem without schematic.

Last edited:
are you telling me that the step up smps of good car amps are better than

linear power supplies of home amps?

Yes, in my opinion is is better, mostly due to the higher switching frequency.

On the other hand, cheap car smps are based on the fact that the output capacitors never fully discharge.

A typical car amp protection circuit, measures the voltage drop of the audio output emitter resistors, and shuts down the pulses of the pwm ic.
Given the fact that a high quality stand alone mains operated smps, would incorporate their own protection schemes, it is very difficult to tweak those circuits (using opto is a must) and tie there the amp prot circuit.

Yes, in my opinion is is better, mostly due to the higher switching frequency.

On the other hand, cheap car smps are based on the fact that the output capacitors never fully discharge.

A typical car amp protection circuit, measures the voltage drop of the audio output emitter resistors, and shuts down the pulses of the pwm ic.
Given the fact that a high quality stand alone mains operated smps, would incorporate their own protection schemes, it is very difficult to tweak those circuits (using opto is a must) and tie there the amp prot circuit.

theory is one thing.

listening is another.

my experiments with high quality regulated smps can`t beat good linear

power supply but come very close.

experiments was done at home diy amps.

if i could do it at my system and pick one of the amps and the music used

i would find.

at an unknown system with unknown material what can anybody recognize?
lol, i believe he lets you use your own amps, and own music, however, the problem is he uses equipment to feed the amps different signals so that they will sound the same, which includes not letting them run to higher strain levels, where amps can really differ. i'm not trying to stir anything up, but i have always seen the whole challenge as a crock. if he could make a tube amp perform better at higher frequency, then that would be part of the challenge, too. otherwise, you certainly could pick out the different sound.:2c:

lol, i believe he lets you use your own amps, and own music, however, the problem is he uses equipment to feed the amps different signals so that they will sound the same, which includes not letting them run to higher strain levels, where amps can really differ. i'm not trying to stir anything up, but i have always seen the whole challenge as a crock. if he could make a tube amp perform better at higher frequency, then that would be part of the challenge, too. otherwise, you certainly could pick out the different sound.:2c:

believe if you choose the right amps he will not be able to do anything

no matter what equipment he will use.

Hi,

There is nothing about car amplifiers that would suggest they are better
or a better approach than a well designed home audio hifi amplifier.

If cheap is not the issue, then car amps for home audio is pointless.

rgds, sreten.

do you remember earthquake pa2150?

i never heard a home amp with it`s bass slam.

well i guess there will be a few krell,bryston,mark levinson but nothing

>3000$ so cheap depends.

i tried and pro amps with thousands watts and they didn`t do the trick.

anyway my research is over.

i finally heard hypex ncore at my speakers and i finally found what i wanted.

i don`t know why but thats my next amp.

p.s. i am talking only for bass because the rest is fully justified from specs.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.